• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Irish shot snake head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sootmonkey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I am new to black powder shooting, as my question here will prove.
I just bought a shot snake from TOTW. It came with an Irish head. I think it may be broken.
I can remove the shot measure, but I can not figure out how to release the shot from the snake. Pushing on the button(that in my case does not move) will only close the already closed gate. How do you open the gate to release the shot? What am I doing wrong? Can you explain how this is supposed to work? Thank you.

It's made to use with the head below the bag.
While you are carrying it the measure has pushed the gate out of the way allowing shot to fill the measure. When you withdraw the measure the gate closes preventing shot from falling out of the bag.

Yep. Gravity fills it every time you replace it when you hang it below the snake.

HPIM0792.jpg

Yup, gravity pulls the shot into the measure. The next question is how to get the shot into the snake. Now that we know that the measure opens the gate, you should see what moves to open the snake to add shot. Fill it with the suitable sized shot and send some down range.

Grenadier1758 said:
The next question is how to get the shot into the snake. Now that we know that the measure opens the gate, you should see what moves to open the snake to add shot. Fill it with the suitable sized shot and send some down range.
I have found a suitable funnel for filling through the head. Pull up on the external part of the gate, slip the nozzle of the funnel in to hold the gate open, and pour in the shot. Larger shot (#4 is the largest I've used through it) tends to bridge, so it must be poured somewhat slowly, or the funnel tapped to clear the bridge.

Regards,
Joel

Thanks Guys and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Joel, That is how I filled mine. There is a problem with the head on the one I just bought. The measure does not open the gate. I am sending it back.

Soot Monkey said:
Thanks Guys and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Joel, That is how I filled mine. There is a problem with the head on the one I just bought. The measure does not open the gate. I am sending it back.

If you are patient and scout out flea markets, antique shops, and even yard sales, you can find originals that will work perfectly. And cost a lot less than the reproductions. The leather is usually beyond use. If the original bag is with the charger you can use it for a pattern. If not”¦”¦.the shape is your choice.

Back