• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it a good Colt Navy replica ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the engraving pretty poor. The cuts are very ragged, and there are many cross over cuts. In reality, little better than a beginner. The layout of the main bodies of the designs are so, so, but the work on the butt and guard look out of place due to the simplistic design and poor execution. I would not buy it if the decision was based on the engraving. The gun also has numerous problems in design if compared to a real Colt, not to mention some obvious poor fitting and timing. I don't think Mike would have posted as he did, if he had seen the close ups.

Hello Wick,

Well, for $170 it's not bad.

You're right about the engraving looking like the work of a beginner, but don't be so harsh...

people have to start somewhere and a mid range cap & ball would be a good project if one is starting out.

I studied under master gun engraver in the 70's so I've got a clue on how many steel plates you do before you even start on a firearm.

The best thing to come out my gun engraving class?

The woman I married.

Cheers,

David

I didn't mean to be harsh, just factual. That engraving was a rushed factory job, and not someones engraving project. I base that on the engraving of the main frame which is color cased. I don't believe a hobby engraver, or amatuer would have spent the cost of having the frame re-cased on such a relatively cheap gun. If the buyer is satisfied, that's all that counts in the end.

That engraving is better than most modern engraving I've seen. Probably done at the factory. It's definitely not Nimscke, but it's not a $40,000 gun either. :haha:

Latest posts

Back