• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

iS IT A Traditional RIFLE ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
wolfe28 said:
Something that occured to me is, if the durable plastics and stainless steal were available ~160 years ago, wouldn't the mountain men and pioneers have used them to make firearms? If I went back in time, I probably would want to take one of these rifles with me.
Except that misses the whole point...that's like saying it they had airplanes they would have used them...well of course they would...but that's completely opposite the point.

People's interest in doing some of the things the way the settlers did them "back in the day" IS the point...the point it NOT to try and improve upon what they used...that's already been done...just grab a Remingtom 700/.30-06 and you're all set...no...I want to grab a wood and metal Flintlock that at least SOMEWHAT resembles something from that era...not something plastic.

Amen, brother! :applause:

Claude said:
roundball said:
wolfe28 said:
Something that occured to me is, if the durable plastics and stainless steal were available ~160 years ago, wouldn't the mountain men and pioneers have used them to make firearms? If I went back in time, I probably would want to take one of these rifles with me.
Except that misses the whole point...that's like saying it they had airplanes they would have used them...well of course they would...but that's completely opposite the point.

People's interest in doing some of the things the way the settlers did them "back in the day" IS the point...the point it NOT to try and improve upon what they used...that's already been done...just grab a Remingtom 700/.30-06 and you're all set...no...I want to grab a wood and metal Flintlock that at least SOMEWHAT resembles something from that era...not something plastic.

yet you drive to the meet in a car why not ride a horse? we did it all the time back home in texas it was called a trail ride and we rode about 150 miles. the way i see it is this most people myself included got into muzzleloading through a inline or a "plastic stocked traditional styled modern muzzleloader" not because we thought it was cool but because we wanted to be more in touch with our heritage, most of us myself included did not have a mentor in muzzleloading and that to me is where the problem is. once i got into muzzleloading i went and got a underhammer, which i have been told is not traditional, and i love shooting it. my next gun will be a flint lock because i think it will be fun to shoot. and is'nt that the main reason most of us shoot anyways? sorry to rant just needed to say that

Okay guys, I'm not trying to stir up trouble, it's just a thought. Don't get me wrong, I love the look, feel, and everything else that goes along with the traditional guns, and I'm not saying that the plastic and stainless TC is traditional by any means. It's a nice weapon that fills the need for some folks. Is it for me, of course not, but that doesn't make it bad, just not to my taste.
D

jax1-2 said:
Claude said:
roundball said:
wolfe28 said:

yet you drive to the meet in a car why not ride a horse?

I don't know how many times we've been over this. For most people, the "EVENT" starts when you get to the location of the event, not at your house. What you suggest would have the Indy drivers drive their race cars to the track from their homes. Or, the NFL players put their uniforms on before they fly to the game.

...the way i see it is this most people myself included got into muzzleloading through a inline or a "plastic stocked traditional styled modern muzzleloader" not because we thought it was cool but because we wanted to be more in touch with our heritage,...

I believe that's a gross generalization. Many of us did get into muzzleloading do to an interest in history and our "heritage", and because of that, we choose firearms that emulated our heritage. Since in-lines have no heritage, we did not choose them. I grew up watching Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett and never once wanted an inline.

wolfe28 said:
...I'm not saying that the plastic and stainless TC is traditional by any means. It's a nice weapon that fills the need for some folks. Is it for me, of course not, but that doesn't make it bad, just not to my taste.
D

I think we're all saying that, but some folks can't just leave it at that. They echo your sentiment, then say, "But...", and it starts all over again.

Don't know how Old You are but a lot of us here started way back before there was such an Un-Traditional thing as a Plastic Stocked Inline thing that happens to load from the muzzle.

the way i look at it is like this i shoot what i like and so should everyone else. i prefer traditional bp guns, but i will not shun an individual for using a inline i will try to show the beauty of a traditional firearm and leave it at that. i definatley have learned alot from you guys on here and probably would still be using a in-line if it werent for yalls help and tutelage, so thanks you.

Fair enough. I would count myself in the group that got interested in muzzleloaders before there was anything but traditional guns. It just took me quite a while to actually get one.
Thanks,
D

". once i got into muzzleloading i went and got a underhammer, which i have been told is not traditional'

This may be past of the problem, listenimng to the wrong people underhammers are very much tradtional, and we really should shelve the inline term for such discossions and go with traditional or modern ML's the ignition type is moot the style and capabilites ( projectile type the gun is designed for, and whether of not the sight system is comparable to one from the period the gun emulates are the guidelines) the gun in questiom would not likely fall into the traditional catagory, unless you could shoot a rb thru it and use a fixed adjustable sight non-modern design,I cannot see why peole get upset when asked if a particular gun is traditionaland the answer is no... it does not make it a bad gun, if one asks if a AK47 is a good choice for a ww1 type weapon a no would not make it any less of a gun, the shooter will just have to refrain from making claims that it was a WW1 weapon.And is there any chance of along with banning in-lione topics we can ban the " if the had it back then they would have used it so it is traditional BS" this is moronic and insulting. a no vote for something being traditional may not suit someone, but if that is the case that person should really take a look at WHY they feel the need to use the term traditional, what drives this desire, is it just to fit in, or is it from an interest in history? if it is the latter then a no vote is a favour, if it is the former some more soul searching may be in order.

Got to agree with you on this one Claude, just look at your survey of how many yrs have you been shooting throws this puppy out the door!...."...the way i see it is this most people myself included got into muzzleloading through a inline or a "plastic stocked traditional styled modern muzzleloader" not because we thought it was cool but because we wanted to be more in touch with our heritage,..." OH bull! I didnt even know about those others for years, I guess I didnt even look at any ads for them kind of like on TV for years. :rotf: What was this about anyway Ive forgot! :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

well i am new to muzzleloading and i got into it to be more in touch with a simpler time since i am military i got what i could afford at the time which was a modern bp gun. i am not gonna lie to you i like that gun very much and still have and shoot it. but after getting to know more about bp i came to the realization that i needed something more. i got into bp with 5 of my friends and 3 of those have decided what i have the new ones are fun to play with but i want a nice older style gun for hunting and target shooting. i am in no way saying that all of you got into bp through inline i was making a generalization of my age group. most of us werent lucky enough to come across a website or have a good mentor in Black Powder so we learned as we went. i did not intend to make anyone angry with my previous posts but i don't really care what anyone else shoots aslong as they know what they have and don't try to pass it off as something it is not. :thumbsup:

Jax, it is not you that provoked the reaction. Most of us have heard the, if they had it back then they would have used it, so how did you get to the hunt, your buckskin panties are in a bunch, there really is no difference, and a hundred other rationalizations in support of the modern muzzleloaders until we are sick of them.
I had to buy one when they came out because I am mainly a hunter. It promised to be a muzzleloader, only better. The last time it went to the woods with me, a nice buck walked across the field at about 100 yards. I scoped him, and realized that for me to shoot him with that scoped gun was wrong, for me. I let him walk and never carried the gun again until I traded it away. This place is mainly people like me that see and feel something wrong about the modern muzzleloaders. Our choice has been attacked from more sources than you would believe, including government agencies. Most of us have little patience with the topic these days.
Load it with loose powder, a roundball or short conical, and use open sights. You are using pretty much the same level of tech that was used back then. Load it with pellets under a 405 grain 45 caliber bullet, put a scope on it, and then set it off with a shotgun primer, and you are no longer using the same level of tech they had to work with. No matter what the trouble makers want to say. There was no plastic, stainless, or long for caliber bullets before 1830. The scopes being experimented with were nothing like those of today.
Nothing personal, but most of us find something wrong with the modern guns, so we come here to a place dedicated to the older style guns to avoid the discussions about the modern guns. When those discussions come here from guys that have caused trouble over the same issue on other sites, we have absolutely no patience at all. You just got caught up in the discussion!.

"This is the Traditional Muzzleloader forum"

I picked up on this as I went back thru this thread, ans was wodering if I have missed something, I do not recall this ever being designated as a traditional forum, though some of the sub forums offer a bit of a safe haven from the modern[url] stuff...Claude[/url]?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i was misunderstood. i totally agree with you guys i still have my inline but i have never killed anything but paper with it. this is the reason i came back here. i was just having a bad couple of days and ended up taking it out in here SORRY GUYS after re-reading my posts i realized what i was trying to say wasnt coming out at all.

tg said:
"This is the Traditional Muzzleloader forum"

I picked up on this as I went back thru this thread, ans was wodering if I have missed something, I do not recall this ever being designated as a traditional forum, though some of the sub forums offer a bit of a safe haven from the modern[url] stuff...Claude[/url]?

I don;t think you;re quoting me.

Although I have refereed to this web site as "traditional", I have also qualified it by saying... "The rules prohibit discussions of "in-line" firearms, but not traditional "style" muzzleloaders."

I don't want to go to extremes and disallow coil springs and modern wood finishes and get too anal about the whole thing. There are too many people having too much fun here to get all that serious.

I think drawing the line at prohibiting "in-lines" is probably good enough for conversation sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much ado about nothin'! Why should someone else's thoughts about my shootin' iron affect my enjoyment of it?

I shoot both inline and traditional because I enjoy them! They are fun and they are challenging! I have had more trouble getting sabot shooters to group at 100yds. than I have roundball shooters....so there IS a challenge. Both are more challenging than a Rem 700 and more fun.

Never did give a rat's a&& about the historical aspect. If it's important to you, fine. If someone wants to pass up shots at deer because his gun is 'incorrect', that's fine too....makes more deer for the rest of us.

But I hate to see a new ML shooter looking over his shoulder seeking approval from strangers. Shoot what you got and enjoy it! If you're curious about something else, get it, try it! Our heritage is America where you can still commit legal acts without anyone's approval. May that always be true!

Life's too short.
Bob

short_start said:
Why should someone else's thoughts about my shootin' iron affect my enjoyment of it?

It shouldn't and I don't know of anyone who is telling you what you should do or what you should shoot.

But, when a member asks a question like, "Is it a traditional rifle?", like the one that began this thread, he is soliciting opinions, so the members are giving their opinions. People are free to agree or disagree, but no one is telling anyone what to do, so there's no need to take it personally.

"But I hate to see a new ML shooter looking over his shoulder seeking approval from strangers'

There is nothing like this happening, someone just asked if a gun was traditional and answers were given many correct ones based on the similarities of the old guns and the gun in questions, many remarks about it doesn't matter or forget about PC, or don't let anyone tell you waht to shoot were also given the later were neither asked for or proper, some people just cannot set back and let someone ask questions about the historical aspects of a particular gun being offered today with out offering non informitve unrelated to the question type comments.

Claude I was not refereing that you made the quote just questioning it.

tg said:
Claude I was not refereing that you made the quote just questioning it.

Understood. :v

Everyone should keep in mind that nothing about this Forum is set in stone. It's been modified several times since it was started and I'm making it up as we go. :)

Latest posts

Back