• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it just me or do others.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadball

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After taking my first deer with black powder, I have noticed that whenever I see a deer, I look at it, estimate my comfortable shooting range, and think if I had my Kentucky where is the best killing shot. I look at deer that visit my yard and do it. When I drive down the road and see deer at roadside,I do it. While fishing I saw a small deer come down to the river edge and I thought to myself, "approx 20 yards, straight on shot, I would wait for it to turn broadside and BOOM!!" My wife says it's insanity, I say addiction. Who is correct and am I alone in doing this? Also, I find the smell of black powder to be a pheromone. Please assure me this behavior is normal :winking: :haha:

then so are you. It is an insane addiction. And you are not alone. Maybe we need to start a group therapy session for this ailment. Wouln't get rich by no means, but should make a lot of new intersting friends. ::

Perfectly normal behavior.
No matter where I see a deer I try to judge the distance, imagine shot angle, look for escape routes for the deer, I even look for possible stalking routes for me if the deer is out of muzzleloader range.
All of this probably comes natural to an experienced hunter.

Huntin

tis a never ending process until we are put in the ground and heaven bound.......sounds perfectly normal to me. Not having the opportunity of unlimited game and no seasons as our forbears did, how else are we to learn?

Vic

Hi Leadball,

I doubt it's normal, but I have it too.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about floating a similar thread... I was thinking about calling it something like "Can't go fishin' anymore!"

I'm so interested in all things BP, the rifles, the history, and if only I had the time, the rendezvousing! I can't even bring myself to go fishing!

Shucks, after cleaning up my flinter, I catch myself sniffing my fingers later in the day to see if I can catch a whiff of the sulfur "stink"! Now that's sad, very sad.

Regards,

Jerry.

it's insane addiction....and there's nothing wrong with it....as a matter of fact it quite healthy....thinking of all that fresh air time we will get to spend torwards the end of each year....and not to mention the exercise we will be getting in that fresh air....and don't forget the workout after our deer is down....and the big plus side is all that delicious meat that will be waiting to be eaten....and you get the hint....................bob

Lord yes. I take coop on every deer I see that's within 120 yds. Pick the spot, judge the distance.

The trick is to do it without obviously staring. When you're hunting and doing your best to imitate a stump you can blow your cover by making eye contact. I practice boring a hole into the heart. My wife is used to hearing the little "bang" under my breath when I've squeezed off my mental shot.

I get some funny looks at zoos.

You are becoming an addict!!! Pack up all of your rifles, send them to me, and get into BPAnon. as soon as possible!!!! :) :) :)

Man, this group is good therapy. For a while I thought I was the only one who sized up every four-legged critter for range and best shot placement. It's nice to know there are others out there who are as whacko as I am!

By the way, as a bowhunter that "guess the range" process is the difference between having meat in the soup or having just bread and water, so it becomes a "gotta do" activity. Now we can all blame this illness on bowhunters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You Bet, Every animal and game bird I see gets the finger
pointed at it a "bang" If I'm driving along and 3 quail, pheasants, whatever fly across the road you'd hear 3 bangs before they got across.

I sure hope it's normal cuz I been doin it all my life.

When D. Boone and S. Kenton starts arguein in your head then you got something to worry about ....Maybe!HE HE

Keep Em Dry Fellers!

Chuck ::

LEADBALL,
Trust me there are lots' of wife'S & Husbands going
thru what you are going thru.Play it out.
I am snake-eyes

My wife shoots a bow, (archers do this too) makes swooshing sounds in the car. Swoosh---bang, bang---swoosh. She says no fair clouding up the truck with imaginary BP smoke so she can't shoot!! Says I can't get credit for multiple hits due to reloading time. Not allowed to go bang--bang at less than 30 second intervals while she rolls down window to clear BP smoke from truck.
I'm from TN
she's from KY
we keep score! Only rule, you can't shoot more than the truck will haul. She bought a bigger truck so she could carry more imaginary game!
We thought this was normal adult traveling behavior!!!

naaaaaaaaaaa you not crazy , its , nothing like say trying to put the sneek on a rabbit or teaching your kid how to use cover to get up on a sparrow. whats really bad is puttin a stock on the local house mouse . gotta hunt the with a blow gun lmao

Says I can't get credit for multiple hits due to reloading time. Not allowed to go bang--bang at less than 30 second intervals while she rolls down window to clear BP smoke from truck.

Tell her you have an imaginary double barrel black powder rifle... ::

Just for fun, I'll even throw in an imaginary misfire or imaginary flash in the pan, just to keep in touch with reality...

Yeah me too. The wife got tired of me hogging up the family car when I pull over to inspect my kill or try and strap the bloody thing on top of the vehicle. She told me if I am going to keep on playing my games that I should get an F-150 4X4. Done! :D :D
Why does work keep getting in the way of my personal life? Thanks for all the postings that keep me sane.
Zman

Hi Leadball

I hate to be the one to break the bad news but no this kind of activity is not normal, it

That must be the reason for the twitching between range sessions and the agitation just before cool weather sets in!! I had wondered about that. How about the need to stop at every trade blanket at a rondy, or the magnetic attraction to the lone cans of gunpowder sitting out on the traders' tables? Are those symptomatic of a much larger problem too? How about the uncontrolable urge to migrate toward Friendship, Indianna in spring and fall. Am I turning into a carabu?

Back