• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there a trick to installing the Pietta 1858 cylinder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill-e

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I can remove the cylinder just fine...Hammer in Half cock, pull pin and rotate the cylinder cw to remove.

When installing it won't get past the lever that advances the cylinder when it is in the half cocked position so I have to release the hammer and draw it back a little and finagle it to reinstall the cylinder.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks
Bill

On mine, while leaving the hammer at half cock I use my left hand to hold the loading lever and cylinder pin, insert the cylinder from the right side until it hits the cylinder hand. Then rotate the cylinder about 1/4 turn clockwise (aft looking forward) to make the ratchet at the rear of the cylinder push the cylinder hand back into the frame.
When the cylinder is aligned with the cylinder pin push it in.

Although to some this is not the way to do it but here is my way of swapping my Remington cylinders.

All done with my right hand on the grip.
Hammer fully down against the fired cone.
Lower the loading lever.
Slide the cylinder pin out.
With thumb ease back the hammer slightly.
remove the cylinder from the right side with a C/W twist.
Wipe pin & barrel with wet cloth.
With thumb ease back the hammer slightly.
Install the loaded cylinder into frame with a slight C/C/W motion to engage the bolt & have hammer over empty chamber.
Slide cylinder pin in.
Relatch the loading lever.

I've been able to swap cylinders "minus the wiping of the pin" with just about the same speed as some guys with S&W M&P's with speed loaders.

Back