• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IS THIS A SAFE SHOOTING BARREL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are certainly members here that would like you to stick around for your knowledge of antique firearms. I too get annoyed with the complaints that were overly mentioned. And I have been put off by (unnecessarily) negative comments to my posts. this is a good forum with lots of informative folks on here. I remember a sign on my buddies wall in college. It was in Latin but the translation was: "don't let the bast@*ds get you down".
'

Are you saying that Swiss black powder is not real black powder? On what basis are you making that claim?
Swiss would be ā€œlikeā€ Goex. I mean any real blackpowder and not anything modern, including blackpowder substitutes since the gun in question is a flintlock.

Swiss would be ā€œlikeā€ Goex. I mean any real blackpowder and not anything modern, including blackpowder substitutes since the gun in question is a flintlock.

The Aubonne Black Powder Mill (Swiss Black Powder Factory) was founded in 1853. I guess that they might just be 'like' your GOEX product.

Many suspect that Swiss black powder contains some additive... because it stands out from the others. But these are just conspiracy theories... lol!

@ZUG, it means we ran off another forum member with our criticism of his use of all caps in his posts.
It matters not to me is they use caps, lower case, or Times New Roman font.
If someone is so offended by all CAPS, or so offended by others pointing out the rules of not using all caps, then as my coworker of 15 years often said, "we have become a nation of people waiting to be offended."

I recommend we all get some sunlight and trigger time at our local range.
Nothing clears the senses better than Holy Black Powder.

It matters not to me is they use caps, lower case, or Times New Roman font.
If someone is so offended by all CAPS, or so offended by others pointing out the rules of not using all caps, then as my coworker of 15 years often said, "we have become a nation of people waiting to be offended."

I recommend we all get some sunlight and trigger time at our local range.
Nothing clears the senses better than Holy Black Powder.
Amen . lighten up folks.

Many suspect that Swiss black powder contains some additive... because it stands out from the others. But these are just conspiracy theories... lol!
I was under the impression Swiss used a different wood to make their charcoal with than Goex.

I know in my testing the standard deviation was smaller with Swiss than Goex so that is what I shot back when I was heavy into competition.

seems some folks really need to get a life!! if CAPS are the worse thing you can find wrong with the world open you curtains or call yourself a wambulance. šŸ˜² ;):doh:
Actually, I just go over the text and donā€™t read it. If someone is butthurt by thatā€¦ wow, welcome late to the internet party. I got told that almost 30 years ago. Heeded it too.

Last edited:
I was under the impression Swiss used a different wood to make their charcoal with than Goex.

I know in my testing the standard deviation was smaller with Swiss than Goex so that is what I shot back when I was heavy into competition.
Swiss Black Powder is made entirely with alder buckthorn charcoal and looks rather like graphite. The shooting powder is graded 1-5 under the European classification system, and 1Fg-4Fg using the Anglo-American scale. These classes identify the dimensions and number of corns per gram.

Apart from ugly signature Dosn't seem a problem .Maybe take up tiddly winks ? they are safe but wear goggles just in case .Cant be too carefull eh. Why any one would stamp' Ol Reliable'
The barrel maker is NOT old reliable. Pull the barrel, and it should be marked with the manufacturer.
Probably something the builder decided to name the gun. JAM is also probably the initials of the builder.
Its a Stamp OL Reliable suggests a budding barrel maker or just whimsy ,Why that mark
is a mystery but they did .Rudyard

There are certainly members here that would like you to stick around for your knowledge of antique firearms. I too get annoyed with the complaints that were overly mentioned. And I have been put off by (unnecessarily) negative comments to my posts. this is a good forum with lots of informative folks on here. I remember a sign on my buddies wall in college. It was in Latin but the translation was: "don't let the bast@*ds get you down".
'
"Non lligitimus carborundum." Was I think the banner of the. Whitehorse Yukon Star newspaper I thought it summed up the region. But been years since I was up there .

" Ceaser had some jam for tea, Pompay et a rat. Ceasar sick in ominy buss ! Ceaser sick in hat " Close but definatly no cigar .
Regards Rudyard

Back