• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is TVM a good deal??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunkelley

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello!!

This is my first post. I am going to buy a completed flintlock. 32cal tenn. or southern style.
I'm looking at a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. (TVM) They look like they might be a great deal. I'm looking to spend $1000-1500. What are any of your thoughts on this?? Thank-you very much!!

IMO they are about the best quality product for your money. I want to order a percussion .54 caliber Leman from them real bad.

I have a TVM Tennessee rifle and am very pleased with it. Matt and Toni sell a solid dependable rifle for a reasonable price. I don't think that you can get a better rifle for the same money. The main drawback to buying from TVM is that they have so much business that the delivery period for a custom order is usually several months.

i bought a southern .32 and love it.it's about 2months old and i have shot at least 250 shots.i owned several pedersoli flints and you can't even compare quality let alone accuracy to tvm rifles

I would LOVE to see some pics of that southern.
if you have any that would be great. I'm having a hard time deciding on a tenn. or a southern. They seem very similar in style. The only difference i can see from TVM's picture is the amount of hook in the butt and the overall hight of the butt.

I have nothing but good things to say about them.

My rifle will be delivered this summer.

I have not seen the rifle yet but I can say that they have been awesome to deal with from a customer satisfaction point of view.

No hesitation recommending them at all.

Doc

TVM is a fine company nice people. You just don't find folks that back up what they sell like TVM. I own a number of TVMs including a .40 Cal. Tenn. Rifle. You will like your new TVM rifle. :thumbsup:

I'll sing another praise. I have their Southern rifle and it is very comfortable to shoulder and shoot. I have'nt held their Tenn. so I can't give you a comparison. Without hesitation I can say you will not find better folks to deal with and they are that way even after the sale. :thumbsup:

I have their .62 smoothbore. I'm very happy with it. It's a beautiful piece, well-balanced and accurate. I have never had a failure to fire.
Matt and Toni are knowledgeable and communicative, very easy folk to deal with.
Pete

Well, first of all: Welcome to the forum shotgunkelley! :hatsoff:

I got a TVM southern flinter and I´d say you can´t do very much wrong with that gun.
Only thing you should think about is to go with a swamped barrel, it´s really worth the extra $$.

If you are not insisting in .32 Cal. you could also take look at forum-member Roy´s homepage.
He´s got a southern for sale at the moment. :wink:

Go the the hunting section and check out this thread. 181 days til squirrel season.
If you can live with an ugly rifle like this then you might be satisfied. I think it is what you are looking for. Mine is a 40Cal.

PJC

Great choice for the limb bacon harvest and plinkin. Get the 42" barrel.

PJC said:
Go the the hunting section and check out this thread. 181 days til squirrel season.

Ah, that´s the reason for that small caliber.
:doh:
Just didn´t think about that, sorry. We don´t have that here.

Good product and curtious service! I received one of their Southern rifles with a few options e.g.premium maple-durs egg flint lock-iron furniture-workmanship is good throughout.I have only been out 3 times with it as the weather here in the Yukon is pretty chilly until the end of april or beginning of may.1st time out-just to shoot it-2nd time out to shoot groups at 50yds.[1.25in.]!-3rd. time out to shoot groups at 75yds.[2-2.5in.]-"impressed"!! the load was 20gr.FFFg under 50gr.pyrodex"P"-only because black powder is hard to come by here in Canada-FFFFg for priming and beeswax wad under a .490 patched round ball.I can see I am going to putting lots of shots through the rifle this summer so don't hesitate to order from Matt & Toni-yukontrails.

TVM are good guns at a good value from what I have seen and heard from others, you can get quite a bit of gun for the $$you are willing to spend, consider whether or not a historical accurate gun is of importance, if so do your homework don't let any vendore have poetic liscence on that issue, shop around and compare what you can get for the same $$$ you may land on TVM or possibly one of many other squares on the game board.Most of the builders/vendors are known by someone on this forum for comparative imput.

I have had a TVM left-handed Tennessee 50 cal flintlock for about four months, and could not be more pleased with it. After experimenting with lubes and loads and adjusting the sights, I can shoot a one inch group at 50 yds. Would send pictures if I could figure out how to do so :confused:
It is not only a beautiful piece of work, it shoots :grin:

There are two TVMs in Corinth, MS. Matt and Toni have one and Jack Garner has the other. Both are top notch and top quality operations. I have a Garner rifle I had built last fall and the quality is inimaginably good. You can't go wrong either way.

have two matching pistols and three rifles from tvm. each are custom to my wants. nice people to deal with and there weapons are first rate. plan to order another this month. you can't go wrong with a tvm. kurt250

Shotgunkelley, I've got a TVM Tennessee rifle in .50 flint with 15/16" 38" barrel. It's freakin'great, I love it. Here's a few pics, like you asked:

longrifle1.jpg

longrifle2.jpg

longrifle3.jpg

Like I said, I love it. My next flinter will (someday) be another Tennessee in .32 or .36. As this rifle was a gift from my father (and he found it used) I didn't pick anything out on it. The only thing I'll do much different on the next one will be a swamped barrel. Another option, given your price range is to call Tip Curtis's Frontier Shop in Cross Plains, TN. He's got lots of good rifles, and at had five or six different .32 and .36 Tennessee rifles when I visited back in December. They were all in the white, so you have to stain and finish it yourself, but it's not difficult and you get a great rifle for around $900 or so for a fairly plain rifle (which was usually the case with Tennessee rifles). At any rate, you can't go wrong wit TVM, but Tip may be another option if you want.

Latest posts

Back