• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Isaac Haines TOW kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe6112

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking at the Isaac Haines Lancaster kit at Track of the Wolf for my first kit. Anyone have any experience with this kit could maybe pass on some insight. Also, what is a good caliber to look into? Thanks!,

i just bought one from chambers, beautiful kit get a 54cal if you can.a little lighter and u can use it for bigger game good luck with your build :v

If its your first you would be advised to look at Jim Chambers Flintlocks kits. Not cheap but they are better especially for the neophyte.
They are put together by a real gunmaker and everything is what it should be for the rifle being made.
Click on the link
Jim Chambers Flintlocks

Dan

What Dan said. Yeah it's $150 more, but the Siler lock will be a Chambers, The Barrel will be a Rice, and the inlet stock will be much better. Plus you can call and get help from Jim, and Barbie if you have problems. The Track stocks come from Pecatonica, and you will have extra fitting, just to get the barrel to align with the the lock pan properly, the barrel channel is generally tight. As to caliber, I'm fond of the .54, but spend most of my time shooting my .60 Mark Silver Chambers Virginia. Buying the Track kit is like buying a Chevy with a stick shift, no AC, and a six cylinder engine, the Chambers is a fully loaded Impala, with a big block.

Bill

Knob mountain with Dave keck.....sometimes he has specials that almost " in the white" phase. And tip Curtis, has has them kitted, n the white, and done.....

Choices choices...... :idunno:

Joe,
I chose the Chamber's kit instead of the TOW kit. I have done the less finished kits and they are fine - but - if time is important to you then go with the Chambers. They have a well in-letted stock, the Rice barrel is great and their lock is the Gold Standard of flintlocks. Plus you can call Barbie or Jim if you have any problems or questions...and you will have problems and questions.

Good luck and Enjoy the process :thumbsup:

Fwiw, I went the TOW route with a Jacob dicker kit that had no inletting. Now because there were no inlets, and because I've never been close to a chambers kit, I can't comment on any of the previous mentioned concerns. However, I have been very pleased with my kit, the only complaint are the terrible screws. Maybe I have the strength of the hulk or those screws are extremely weak. I must have messed up 5 of them. So maybe it is worth the extra money for a better quality kit Whatever route you take make sure to keep us informed.

I bought and built TOW Issac Haines kit 3 yrs. ago and wish I had listened to others about the Chanbers kits. The TOW had some issues as they all do by what I understand about pre-carve stocks such as setting the barrel back to line up the touch hole liner. The trigger that came with it did not come close to touching the sear bar due to height issue aso I changed it out for a double trigger that took some modifing! It is a pretty good parts set with a Rice 38 in.c wt. .54 cal. bbl and a Siler Delux lock. If doing over again I would shop around more. It did turn out pretty good seeing I did it and it shoots well also. Dan.

What your are describing in your build is pretty much same in all the so called Kits from venders. The Chambers kit is pretty much the same, only slimmed down a bit more than some.
I have built them from TOW, Tip Curtis, Chambers, Pecatonica, TVM, & Dunlaps & a few others. I prefer to have my own blanks shaped the way I want them, but if I use a kit I prefer Tip Curtis & Dunlaps Kits.
Personally I prefer the stock not to be slimmed down, but that is me. The whole forestock can be square for me, makes no dif.
The Chambers kits comes with a trigger from Davis with a taller triggerbar, it is not a standard DST4 as one might think. Adding or taking away metal on a trigger to make it work I would consider a normal building prodeedure. Every one I ever saw needed YOU... to position the barrel correctly for the flashpan.... unless you want to experience major issues later in the build. That is why ya do the lock First.... and to this day I don't know why the venders do have this in their instructions........

Then they sell you a video with Everything Perfect.... never have a issue in the build.... seriously folks...... :shake:

Some people think ya just slap the parts together on these "kits" & go.......... Boy are they in for a surprise...... :doh:

Lots of wood to come off Most of them. And I like that, it makes the stock stronger as you build it & less chance of breaking it, lets you change a few things if ya want, etc. You can
slim it down anytime....

Keith Lisle

The ONLY correct way to pick a rifle to build, is to go to a place that has them and actually Shoulder... some of them & find what fits YOU. Asking anyone on here is like saying, I need a new car, what do you like ? YOu will get 40-11 answers & none of them may work for you & you end up spending 1000 bucks for a rifle that don't fit you. Take a day or two, go to a place that has a Large assortment to shoulder & choose from, then decide what to build.

Choice of caliber depends on you as well & what you are wanting to do with the rifle. Small game I prefer a .40. Large game I prefer a .54. But everyone is different.

Keith Lisle

Listen to Keith! He was a BIG help to me when I was putting mine together. Just wish I had taken his advice about other parts sets. :doh: Dan.

Could someone post the website to find a chambers Isaac Haines kit? I'd like to try this for my first build.

Back