• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issues with .36 rifle cleaning jags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First sub-.50 ml. Buying needed possibles. Which jags do you guys use for your .36 rifles? Do you have an optimal diameter you suggest?

I bought the TOW .36 brass jags and they measure .329" diameter; a little too tight with the thick common cotton patches. OK with the thin synthetic Hoppe's patches.

I chucked up one jag and filed it down until I got it more comfortable, and .304" seems about right. If you have a .32 jag do you mind measuring it to compare?

I got it covered, but was just wondering what you guys use.

yellowhammer out

Last edited:
This info may or may not help you, but you can reduce the O.D. of your TOTW jag to fit your cleaning patches to the rifles bore by chucking the jag in an electric drill or drill press and hold a file to its O.D. while activating the drill motor. This will reduce the jags O.D. - go a little at a time - try fit - if too tight put it back in the drill and take some more off. Not hard to do.

Back