• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It really will shoot upside down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biliff

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was hot and dry. Put 19 shots thru my 54 without a hitch. No misfires, hangfires or flash in the pan. Since everything was going so well, I just had to try shot #20 with the rifle upside down. Damn if it didn't work just as well as right side up. Yeah, I know you guys said it would work, :master:but I still had to try it. Course now that I know it will work I can't figure out why I would ever need to fire it that way. Maybe if I ever get into an aerial dogfight, roll inverted and the only weapon I have left is my flintlock.

Call me crazy :: but after reading the post I had to try it too... It sure gave me a big smile when that thing went off...

You could also ask how many of us really old guys have tried it over the years--usually when no one was watching. Personally, I admit to doing it with every single flintlock I've ever owned. And I will do it with my next one.

Another test we used to do with so-called waterproof locks is to prime a detached lock, close the frizzen and then, with a gloved finger over the vent side of the pan/frizzen area, hold the lock underwater for 30 seconds. Then we'd dry the frizzen and flint and fire the lock. It was amazing how often they would go off! So, if you plan to go scuba diving with your firelock, I strongly recommend this test.

It just proves how quick a good lock can be. Everything must take place before gravity moves the pan powder too far out of the pan.

You could also ask how many of us really old guys have tried it over the years--usually when no one was watching. Personally, I admit to doing it with every single flintlock I've ever owned. And I will do it with my next one.

Another test we used to do with so-called waterproof locks is to prime a detached lock, close the frizzen and then, with a gloved finger over the vent side of the pan/frizzen area, hold the lock underwater for 30 seconds. Then we'd dry the frizzen and flint and fire the lock. It was amazing how often they would go off! So, if you plan to go scuba diving with your firelock, I strongly recommend this test.

FWIW, some time ago, after sensing that some people feel that a TC Hawken flintlock is somehow inferior to "real flintlocks", I've test fired every one of mine upside down as I've had them at the range, three shots in a row, and they've all fired perfectly.

For those who have yet to try this mythical, meaningless flintlock performance test, take note ahead of time where you have the vent hole pointing...you will only forget that once!

::

Yep, I've fired mine upside down, too. I recall that it used to be a test for old time gunmakers to prove the superiority of their locks.

I've also fired mine without a priming charge in the pan, to see if it would work. It did. Let's be careful out there.

I don't know where all this negativity about the T/C flintlocks came from, either. I don't own one, but I have friends who have rifles that are 30+ years old, and they still spark just fine. If some wants to argue that a T/C Hawken isn't really a Hawken at all, but a plains rifle, I'll not argue the point. But the quality is there and the guarantee is unbeatable.

I noticed a friend of mine had a rather strange looking pattern on his inside forearm-asked him what happened. He told me "Never hip shot a flintlock." S

For sure. A lot of folks don't realize how much extremely hot gas is jetted from a flintlock's vent. It will definitely scar you if it hits bare flesh. Not a problem for the shooter in normal use, it will tear up the person standing next to you.

Sounds like a guy could make a few bucks at the local shooting range doing that, placing a few bets here and there. Would pay the range fee at least!

:hmm:

Rat

I'm amused at this thread, two months ago I posted the fact that a flinter will fire upside down and a few people acted like I was crazy. :huh:

Does this imply that Australian and New Zealand flintlocks will fire right side up?

Relativity speaking, of course...

We had a match over 25 years ago where we shot a "Mystery" target. We had to aim our rifles upsidedown and see who could hit a corncob at 25 yds. You'd be surprised at how many could hit it.
:front:

It's good to know it will work in case you might want to hunt in Austraila or China some day.

Remember to hold way low when shooting upside down, as the ball is falling up.

:youcrazy:

If you were in Austraila or China, and you were laying on your back, shooting upside down......would you hold high, or low, for shooting down hill? :hmm:

:what: I do like the comment on "where" the flash hole would be...I know exactly where it would be! ....let's just say, "a liddle birdie told me where it would be".

Russ

Yea, the Feds banned it years ago. Have to use Steel, Bismuth, or one of the other Non toxic pellets.

I certainly don't see any practical reason to try[url] that...AGAIN[/url], but I haven't tried it with my Renegade. :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back