• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It Thundered again tonight down in the Swamp!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man I been goin at it steady since Oct 1 here and am I beat. Put two bucks in the freezer but I gotta tell ya this one means the most to me.

A year ago at this time my smoothie was just a dream, not more than a folder on my desk top where I was gathering info. The whole idea behind it was to hunt our shotgun season again. Due to politics we can't use our regular muzzle loaders during this season, so I decided to have one built I could use. Thats what makes tonights harvest extra special.

I've been driving my "Rat" out to a ground blind thats one of my favorite spots all week. All week RC and Roy been cheering me on whilst I delt with a bad back. Tonight I settled in and felt tonight was the night. We have weather coming in so they had to be moving. It was pretty uneventful until I saw a flicker of a tail a good 100 yards plus. Then a deer standing at a point in the trail where, if it turns to the right, it will come down a trail that puts it between 20 to 50 yards broadside to me, that is, it would be in a strip of land thats about 50 yards wide with me on one side and water on the other. A very nice ambush sight. Or it could continue straight and that main trail angles down to one opening next to an oak tree thats 75 yards from me. "Come on baby turn to the right!"...She stood there as another came up and passed her continuing on the straight trail. Then another did the same before she moved on. Ok, so I grabbed the top of the roll cage and turned my seat to look at the spot 75 yards out as they walked in and out of sight down the trail. I cocked the Thunder'er and pulled off the hammer stall and waited...

The smallest one came through the shooting lane first, then the medium sized Doe. Then after what seemed like an eternity, Momma stepped into the lane and what a picture! She stood broadside smelling the air. I found her back with the sights and brought them down about a 1/3 of her body height from the top. Held tight to her shoulder and knew If I did my job, the gun would no problem. I squeezed the trigger and it thundered again. The smoke hit me in the face and it took a sec to focus again but when I did I saw the white belly hair laying there at the same spot she stood at. Wow! I glanced at my watch and it was 4:25...

I got her up to the barn but still waiting on help to arrive before I can check her out good and weigh her. I think shes gonna dress at least 120, nice old Doe. She is the first deer I have tagged in our shotgun season since 1989. So to me it is a very special one. :thumbsup:

doe121107a.jpg

doe121107b.jpg

Way to go Swampy. That new smoothbore is sure treating ya right. :thumbsup: So how did that Big Ball work at that range? Appears they do the job right well. Did you get a pass through?

nice goin mr. rat,

you're gonna make them deer on the island vanish all by your self..

tt.g

DAMN PROUD OF YA SWAMPY! :thumbsup: I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU'VE BEEN HURTIN BUT YA STUCK TO IT!!!And good fer you it paid[url] off.....again[/url]!..yer an inspiration ! bravo!.....guess that spinnn yer wheels this morn was worth it! hey!CONGRATS again !an to Roy fer buildin a fine smokepole,,,,short but a smokepole! :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: RC

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

.guess that spinnn yer wheels this morn was worth it!

Argh Swampy on ice, not a pretty sight!

I sure earned this one thats for sure. If ya don't mind I'm definitely going to sleep in tomorrow. :haha:

so excited he had to call me up :haha:
Congrats again Swampy :thumbsup: Great shot. Well you just proved how effective a Smoothie is :bow: :grin:

Great job, Swamp Rat :thumbsup: Nice lookin' doe. Should taste great. Back troubles, eh? Had to get dad a golf cart for hunting this year. He had hip replacement a few weeks before. Good to have friends/family cheering you on :grin: (like at this forum). Congrats!

PS-Nice lookin' flinter!

Swamp Rat said:
Thanks guys!

.guess that spinnn yer wheels this morn was worth it!

Argh Swampy on ice, not a pretty sight!

I sure earned this one thats for sure. If ya don't mind I'm definitely going to sleep in tomorrow. :haha:

Swampy, Maybe ya need one of these here mini-rats...
ATT00002.jpg

:hmm:

Grats on another fine shot! :hatsoff: Them Stroh guns must come with a extra dose of good luck. :thumbsup:

Back