• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Italian kentucky rifle twist rate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunthar0321

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up this rifle at a pawn shop for 85 bucks. Hoping to do some hunting with it but having trouble finding any information about it. Specifically the twist rate. I know it was important from Italy by F.I.E. but that's it. There are some other markings on the barrel and a serial number if anyone can come up with a twist rate or any other info I'd really appreciate it. Not sure how to put pics on here yet but if you think you might know something I can get them to you.

PicsArt_1442597086139_zpsmigv25yb.jpg
[/URL][/img]
20150921_210901_zpsaiq5u63k.jpg
[/URL][/img] Okay here are the barrel markings
PicsArt_1442893447453_zpsplvx6h9t.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Among the markings you should see some proof marks.

Next to the proof marks you should see a box with numbers or letters in it.

These indicate the year the guns barrel was proofed.

Follow this link to find out what they mean
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236956/

If it is an older gun (as I think it is), it will probably have a 1:48" twist.

If it does, it should shoot patched roundballs or short slugs.

You didn't say what the caliber is but if you choose to shoot lead roundballs you need to buy some that are .005-.010 smaller than the bore size.
That will make room for the cloth patch which typically is about .015 thick and made of pure cotton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't find much... made in Italy.. Sometime after 1950. Still don't know who made it. Really appreciate the information though.

I agree with Zonie, that it's probably 1:48 BUT I've seen some that are as slow as their Spanish competitors, at 1:60. And you saw the lands and grooves at the muzzle right? No, I'm not poking fun..., had a fellow at the local club bought a nice, imported, half-stock rifle, barrel from Italy...but it was a smooth bore in .56 as it was made for market in some of the European countries where smoothbore BP "rifles" were all that was allowed without a lot of paperwork..., and a few were offered for sale here too. I think that "rifle" too was a FIE; imported by Interarms in VA.

OH and $85 was a very good "buy"!!

LD

I've seen original US Civil War carbines in the UK, where the honest subjects (which seem to be getting fewer and farther between here) will tell you the laws are draconian, destroyed by making them smoothbores so they can own them more easily.

I remember watching one young man with his "partner" (most WASP couples don't get married there anymore -- they can't afford it and see only disadvantages to it) spend twice as much on a completely de-milled 1911 beater as a new functioning one would cost here. There's a whole industry of this in Europe for every kind of gun. He was just so happy, beside himself with joy, but my eyes were tearing up at the insanity...

Alden said:
I've seen original US Civil War carbines in the UK, where the honest subjects (which seem to be getting fewer and farther between here) will tell you the laws are draconian, destroyed by making them smoothbores so they can own them more easily.

I remember watching one young man with his "partner" (most WASP couples don't get married there anymore -- they can't afford it and see only disadvantages to it) spend twice as much on a completely de-milled 1911 beater as a new functioning one would cost here. There's a whole industry of this in Europe for every kind of gun. He was just so happy, beside himself with joy, but my eyes were tearing up at the insanity...

Ditto...a friend of mine from Bristol England, who does F&I War reenacting as a Shawnee over there, corresponded with me about all that he went through to buy one smoothbore fowler to use in his hobby. He had to buy a tamper proof (if there is such a thing) safe and get it inspected by the local authorities before he could get a permit to purchase the piece which took quite a long while. Don't know what he does for powder but I am sure it is not that easy to acquire. Too bad but unfortunately there are folks on this side of the pond who would have it the same way for us.

You can push a cleaning patch down your barrel with your ram rod and cleaning jag to check the rate of twist. Mark your ramrod and see how far you have to push it down the barrel to to get it to turn 1/3 of a rotation.

If it turns 1/3 of a rotation in 22" your barrel is 1 in 66, 1/3rd turn in 20" would be 1 in 60, 1/2 turn in 24" would be 1 in 48.

Oh no worries. You gotta cover all the bases. Yes I did check the muzzle and it is rifled. Thanks for info and yeah they were asking 110 and I ask if they'd take 75. Settled on 85 so even if it needs a couple things I feel like it's pretty good value. Helps to hear someone else say it though so thanks :)

I have an 1851 Revolver with the same PR marking on it and all I could find is it may have been made by an Italian company called Pierino Ruschetta. If you find anything more let me know as I'm still curious.

Back