• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Italian reproduction metal quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in high school I put together two kits. One is a Dixie GWs, pocket colt .36. The internals are soft and have worn to the point of needing replaced. The other is a Navy Arms, Rem 58. To this day it is a fine functioning and shooting piece. Over the years I have purchesed a Pietta 1860 Colt (in 89) and a Pietta Spiller and Burr (in 03). So Far I have seen no quality issues with them. The 1860 is one of my tightest grouping revolvers from any era. So by my unscientific estimate, three quarters of Italian C&Bs over a 34 year span have been well made and the bad one was a kit gun to begin with. I have heard stories that kit guns utilized parts that failed inspection for use in factory complete guns but I do not know if that is true or not.

I'm happy to report that my Uberti Walker hasn't burst, nor have I had to replace any parts with over one thousand 50-55gr shots through it so far.

:2

Thanks for all the replies.What prompted this was a discussion at a gun shop where I was looking at an Uberti third model dragoon. A customer at the counter started talking to me. He was rather dismissive of BP revolvers. He claimed the Italian gun makers had managed to make a poorer quality steel than was available in the 19th century. He said BP reproductions could not be safe because they were substandard to a modern revolver's steel. I've own 5 reproduction revolvers, and have never had a problem with them. Thanks again guys. Best regards, JA

Well, in a way the guy is right.

IMO, he's not right about the Italian steel being a poorer quality steel than the original guns were made from but he is right about some of the steel being substandard to "a modern revolver's steel".
That's because modern revolvers have cylinders and barrels that are made of alloy steels which have been heat treated to be safe with smokeless powder cartridges.

Of course hind sight is always better than foresight but maybe you should have asked the guy, "You don't happen to have some of those defective cap and ball pistols you want to get rid of, do you?". :grin:

I understand what you mean , Zonie. From that perspective, it makes sense. I should have asked him! That would have been great. I never think of things like that in the moment ! JA

Uberti made parts for the 2nd generation Colt 73 that Colt sold.

That in itself might not mean anything, because Colt could have heat treated them.

the late v. forgett of navy arms was tired of people bashing italian repo,s metal quality specifically his rolling blocks,(1982 black powder cartridge magazine and p,matthews book shooting the black powder cart. rifle ,quote"later the rifle was sent to a pressure lab. where the first loads produced a pressure of 135,000 psi ,the lab tech refused to fire the second load, but estimated pressures about 185,000 to 200,000 psi, this blew the buttstock and forend off the rifle, a person wearing earmuffs and glasses would have walked away from it".The italians have been making quality firearms for hundreds of years,the unscrupless have fallen by the wayside like manufactures of other firearms

I've never heard a report about any reproduction cap & ball revolver having a catastrophic failure of any kind. And some substitute powders may indeed be more powerful than black powder.

arcticap said:
I've never heard a report about any reproduction cap & ball revolver having a catastrophic failure of any kind. And some substitute powders may indeed be more powerful than black powder.

I have a photo of a Roger & Spencer in our local gun-store that was blown up by loading it with 26gr of Bullseye, apparently just to see what would happen.

The shooter, who was alleged to have held it, was wearing a lineman's glove at the time.

If anyone care to contact me by e-mail, they can have it to post.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Well, that Bullseye is pretty dark. Some might say it is even kinda black and it is powder. :rotf:

(As a side note for those who don't know about Bullseye, a recommended load of this powder for a .45 ACP is 3.8 grains and a 4.0 grain load is considered a max load) (Lyman data).

Recently at a gunshow a fellow showed us a replica steel frame .44 Remington that was missing the top strap and about half the cylinder. Two nipples had exposed threads due to missing cylinder metal.

Fellow did not have any story on how the Remington was damaged or would not admit to it.

Maybe it was his own stupidity?

There's a slow motion video of a revolver blowing apart on Youtube somewhere.

I'm thinking smokeless powder is to blame.

When I was in the gun business, grown men would bring in a bag of parts and claim that "their 10 yr old/teen son" took their gun apart while they were at work and would the gunsmith please put it back together.

I can not remember one man who admitted it was them, but they always blamed a different family member.

No surprise on the lack of story on the blown up Remington.

I had a Navy Arms Stainless Remington and there was a slight though visible imperfection in the metal of the frame. I believe I loaded the thing to with 20 or 25 grains of 3f and a small piece of metal broke of at that visible line in the frame. Navy Arms replaced the revolver.
Bruce

Both HEGE and Feinwerkbau made a limited number of VERY expensive replicas of the Remington Model of 1858, but I haven't seen one for years.

Last price I recall was something in the region of $1500.00.

Check here - http://www.waffen-hege.de/shop/index.php?id=1&cat=7&

Their 'New Navy' in .36 is slightly less adventurously priced at around $475.00 or so.

If you don't care to stump up the $$$$$$$$ it looks like you are stuck with the Italians.

Mind you, you could always buy a real one...we do.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
Back