• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's a shame!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AZ-Robert: Olive Oil was brought over here by the Spanish for a hundred years before any English speaking people thought to settle here. It is very authentic, and was traded widely throughout Europe, and in the colonies. Swampman's suggested lube is correct.

paulvallandigham said:
AZ-Robert: Olive Oil was brought over here by the Spanish for a hundred years before any English speaking people thought to settle here. It is very authentic, and was traded widely throughout Europe, and in the colonies. Swampman's suggested lube is correct.

So olive oil is a PC pre-1840 lube, despite olives being from Europe. And the Spaniards brought tomatos (native to the new world) back to Europe. So American reenactors can use olive oil and Italian reenactors can eat marinara sauce! And I will bet marinara sauce will age steel, if you want to go there...

Why is it bad to use plastic sabots but it's ok to use synthetic lubricants? I see no difference.

For the same reason I use Toilet Paper and not my Fingers or Leaves.
Because I can. :blah:

Speaking of using computers and being traditional, some of the phrases I use toward this machine have been around for centuries, and they still aren't acceptable in some circles. :grin:

paulvallandigham said:
AZ-Robert: Olive Oil was brought over here by the Spanish for a hundred years before any English speaking people thought to settle here. It is very authentic, and was traded widely throughout Europe, and in the colonies.

Well, of course it was. In fact, they were growing olives in California by the early 18th century. And certainly commerce was developed enough in that era that just about anything could be had if you were willing to pay the freight. I'm sure olive oil was imported into the English speaking colonies by the tun. In fact, Willian Watson writing to the Royal Society in October 1769 claims that New England alone imported (and consummed) 20,000 gallons per year!

As an aside, Mr. Watson's note claims that the oil of "ground peas" can be had for eight pence per gallon which "will not amount to so much as a fourth of what the best Florence oil of olives costs in England." i.e. about 32 pence per gallon before crossing the Atlantic.

Personally, I don't really care what anyone else chooses to use as a lube. I have my favorite and I'm sure you have yours, and I'm certainly not going to try to convince you to abandon yours in favor of mine! But what I was wondering, without any particular axe to grind, is if imported (and probably pricey) olive oil would have been used "back in the day" in lieu of more easily and cheaply obtained animal tallow.

Walker357 said:
Speaking of using computers and being traditional, some of the phrases I use toward this machine have been around for centuries, and they still aren't acceptable in some circles. :grin:
:rotf:

AZ-Robert said:
paulvallandigham said:
AZ-Robert: Olive Oil was brought over here by the Spanish for a hundred years before any English speaking people thought to settle here. It is very authentic, and was traded widely throughout Europe, and in the colonies.

Well, of course it was. In fact, they were growing olives in California by the early 18th century. And certainly commerce was developed enough in that era that just about anything could be had if you were willing to pay the freight. I'm sure olive oil was imported into the English speaking colonies by the tun. In fact, Willian Watson writing to the Royal Society in October 1769 claims that New England alone imported (and consummed) 20,000 gallons per year!

As an aside, Mr. Watson's note claims that the oil of "ground peas" can be had for eight pence per gallon which "will not amount to so much as a fourth of what the best Florence oil of olives costs in England." i.e. about 32 pence per gallon before crossing the Atlantic.

Personally, I don't really care what anyone else chooses to use as a lube. I have my favorite and I'm sure you have yours, and I'm certainly not going to try to convince you to abandon yours in favor of mine! But what I was wondering, without any particular axe to grind, is if imported (and probably pricey) olive oil would have been used "back in the day" in lieu of more easily and cheaply obtained animal tallow.

I don't know what 'Daniel' used, but I doubt seriously it was olive oil

Swampman, the next thing you know you will be advocating using plain ol water to clean your barrel after a day of shooting. What is this world coming to ?

Swampman said:
That so called Traditional Muzzleloader fans, shun the use of traditional lubes and methods. They use all kinds of expensive and non-traditional products to achive the same or inferior results to what they can achive using traditional products and methods. Why is it bad to use plastic sabots but it's ok to use synthetic lubricants? I see no difference.

Personally, who cares what the other guy is using. :grin: It's an individual decision I think. For lubes I'm going to use what gives me the best accuracy for hunting so long as it's legal.

At the end of the day, I'm going to use the best cleaning method I can find to keep my rifle clean and safe from rust. Spent way to much time and effort to get it if you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

I suspect that Daniel Boone and other Kentucky Long hunters used tallow, made from rendering pork fat, or deer fat, or anything they could get. Spit was also used, with homespun fabric too worn out to wear, leather, leaves, and anything else they might use on the cuff. Spending a year or more far from any source of supply would put a strain on creative solutions, but I suspect they made them. Rabbit hide, although very thin, would make a good patch. Squirrel hides are a little thicker, but not much. Ground hog would be almost idea, and give the longhunters a lot of fat to be rendered, too. Sopme people still swear that the hide on a ground hog makes the best lacing.

I don't know what 'Daniel' used, but I doubt seriously it was olive oil

Hey, if Natty B. could find a Scottish girl with silk to spare, surely Daniel coulda found a nice Italian girl with some olive oil in her canteen.

"I suspect that Daniel Boone and other Kentucky Long hunters used tallow, made from rendering pork fat, or deer fat, or anything they could get." :thumbsup:

As I read about their hunting exploits in NC, VA & KY, it seems that bear bacon and bear fat/oil were in great demand...and they often killed more beas than deer on their hunts. ya suppose they used it for oiling and patching as well as keeping the mosquios off??? :hmm:

I agree with you Paul.I'm thinking that anything and everything was used as patches,Lube and I would imagine in the days gone by Longguns went without proper care in cleaning and oiling.

As an old farm kid that has been involved in butchering and rendering, I seriously doubt that you can obtain tallow from pork fat. That being said, lard also makes a fair patch lube. Just a few sparks from this side of the fire.

Back