• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

it's a shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have no local season but i've seen fields absolutely full of them just to the southeast. Nice shot and looks like a clean kill for sure.

Looks like a great rifle and one i'll add to my wanted list when prowling the local pawn shops. Just got a new Lee .350 mold too.. :hmm:

Judging by what that little .36 did to that old melon, it should be a stopper when used against those big, mean squirrels. I got one and it takes 'em out just fine. Ain't been mauled yet!

Ya put a round ball in yer palm and pour powder till it covers the ball. Supposed to keep the measurements consistent and likely does, within 5-10 grains. Hard to pour in the barrel outta the hand though!

Yup.
The big problem with the "cover the ball" method is getting the powder into the barrel. :grin:

As a side note, a guy tried measuring the powder load created with the "cover the ball with powder" method. To cover the differences in hand shapes he not only measured the amount of powder needed in his hand but he also had his wife and daughter try it in their hand.

This has been written up in Muzzle Blasts a number of years ago.

In all cases, the amount of powder they ended up with would be considered as a very mild load today.

I don't recall the exact amounts but it was something like, a .45 cal = 40 grains, .50 cal = 45 grains...

As the ball is a set size it will be covered with approximately the same measure of powder regardless of the hand holding it.
I find a .490 round ball is covered with about 45-50 grains of powder, every time.

I believe that would be historically correct. From my readings it appears rifles were usually given just a half charge to save powder. I'm sure a .50 or .54 ball with just a 50 powder charge would inflict a huge hurt on whitetail or injun alike.

Rifleman1776 said:
I believe that would be historically correct. From my readings it appears rifles were usually given just a half charge to save powder. I'm sure a .50 or .54 ball with just a 50 powder charge would inflict a huge hurt on whitetail or injun alike.

50cal & 10 grains of FFF will go through a hedge-apple and only make a hole. More and it will look like the watermelon.

Back