• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's been a long time coming but look out Deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested TC bore butter on a .45 custom flintlock for over a year. I fired the rifle one or two times a month for a year and never cleaned. Would shoot then reload with a bore butter patch. After loading I would run one more patch with bore butter down until touching the ball and then back out. At the end of the test time, I had not experienced any problems with rust. Sorry that I traded the rifle off. Still use bore butter but now I do clean rifles after a shooting session. During a hunt, I continue to use just bore butter without cleaning until the hunt is over.

heck said:
I tested TC bore butter on a .45 custom flintlock for over a year. I fired the rifle one or two times a month for a year and never cleaned. Would shoot then reload with a bore butter patch. After loading I would run one more patch with bore butter down until touching the ball and then back out. At the end of the test time, I had not experienced any problems with rust. Sorry that I traded the rifle off. Still use bore butter but now I do clean rifles after a shooting session. During a hunt, I continue to use just bore butter without cleaning until the hunt is over.
:hatsoff:

Sorry I'm from Sioux City but I made a mistake. I live in Northeast Iowa now that's where I will be Hunting.
Made Mouse Milk tonight and mixed my patch lube. I hope to soak and dry some patches in the next couple days per Dutch's instructions.
Planning on going to the range after Labor Day.

Everybody has their own way of doing things. For me personally, I sight my guns in with a clean barrel. I don't want to have to foul the gun and then clear and clean the weapon every evening. I routinely leave my guns loaded for months at a time with no corrosion problems but these guns were loaded with a sparking clean barrel, not a fouled one.

Jeff

What I found in regard to the water soluble oil accuracy method and hunting is this: I was able to achieve almost unbelievable accuracy experimenting with different dilution ratios of water soluble oil and water as directed. At the range where I can control things better, it was great. In a hunting situation, I found that I like a "slicker" patch to make it easier to load & reload. The accuracy suffered for me was not worth worrying about at all.I do not foul my barrel before hunting, I believe the fouling just attracts moisture and that can be a problem. These are just my personal observations and how I have adjusted to suit my needs. I learned the accuracy potential of a round ball from Dutch Schoultz, thank you my friend.

Roguedog said:
Everybody has their own way of doing things. For me personally, I sight my guns in with a clean barrel. I don't want to have to foul the gun and then clear and clean the weapon every evening. I routinely leave my guns loaded for months at a time with no corrosion problems but these guns were loaded with a sparking clean barrel, not a fouled one.

Jeff

I do the same for hunting. I find my loads do not differ too much with a fouled barrel.

Well front sight is on Rifle and rifle cleaned. I have all the accessories I think I need thanks to clearance at Wal Mart and other gun shops. I picked up 10lbs of Prydex RS powder on sale for $ 6 a pound years ago. Next chance I get off to the Range I go.
I have Hornady's .530 lead balls and Remington's .530 lead ball also. I have patch's .010 .015 & Pillow ticking from Wal Mart in strips. Soaked to Dutch's Instructions.
I have a lot of Conical's from several Manfacture's but I really want to just try a Patched Ball this year and see how it goes.

I have to say I'm looking forward to it. Question is your suspoise to hunt with a fouled barrel one shot then load to hunt won't it start to rust before the season ends ?

Where does your spelling and guidance come from?

Both are wrong.....

I think you may definitely encounter rust problems. A fouled bore is not necessary in the first place.

Choctaw said:
Richard Eames said:

Both are wrong.....

Why would you post about his spelling? That's rude and totally unnecessary.
And with autocorrect in the background, no one is safe from spelling miss steaks.

Jamie

Richard Eames said:

Both are wrong.....

:slap:

He's new to muzzleloading and came here for advice. Why not share your experience and knowledge instead of petty insults. Make newcomers feel welcome. Why would anyone want to come back here if they're going to be insulted?

Latest posts

Back