• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J.P. Gemmer spencer convesion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at Taylor's and co. spencer rifle and was wanting to know if anyone had tried to make a J.P Gemmer conversion out of one of these?

The one and only picture I have of one shows the issue butt with a different fore stock, rib and pipes for a wiping rod. It shouldn't be too hard to do, but you will likely have to start from scratch.

Which brings up a related question, do any of you know of any books about Gemmer? Anything that would show some of his work?

I have read here and there sketches that he converted Spencers, Sharps, and Trapdoor Springfields, but pictures and descriptions are hard to find.

TOW sold a rifle several years ago--a Springfield conversion which was supposed to be like a rifle in a museum in St. Louis. It was slick, as the Springfield action occupied the rear of the stock so slick that you couldnt tell it was a trapdoor unless you looked carefully. I have a book somewhere that shows an indian holding a Spencer conversion. I wished that there was more information about Gemmer.

Bill

I built a Sharps - Gemmer several years ago in .44 SBN and basically "flew by the seat of my pants" with regards to design. It's a good shooter, but a bit on the muzzle heavy side. One of the Italian companies makes or used to make a Sharps - Gemmer, maybe that would be a help.

Shiloh used to make a Gemmer Sharps some years ago. I think you could get either a cartridge or percussion version.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't have any idea what you all are talking about! A "converted" Spencer? A Spencer is already a metallic cartridge gun. :confused:

The Gemmer, Spencer and Sharps, were a throw back to the earlier half-stock days. They dressed up the forestocks of the rifles < and sometimes the buttstocks if possible > ,, by making them look more like the Half-stock Gemmer or Hawken rifles that came before.

Its an fairly nice "Look" for the guns and I beleive there is a Gemmer Spencer, that is reputed to have belonged to Ol' Kit Carsen,, in his later days. This is reputed to be,, because they cannot come up with the true provenance < spl?> that proves Carsen actually owned it.

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Gemmer built Hawken rifles on the contemporary actions. He was experimenting with the new tech to keep the Hawken Shop in the competetive market.
Gemmer was associated with/or owned the Hawken Shop from 1860-1915. A lot of innovatin' was a goin' on in that time frame. :shocked2:

The Blackpowder Cartrige Rifles Magazine reprint has a picture of one which looks like a Hawken fore and aft of the Sencer action ( octagon barrel forestock, ramrod etc.). I guess the tricky part would be fitting the magazine to the rear stock.

Bountyhunter, there is some info on Gemmer in the Hawken Rifle the Mountain Man's Choice by Baird. If you have a chance at this book look on ppg.91 for a couple pics of a Spencer Hawken. I don't remember much about the book 30 yrs. in the Hawken Lode by Baird. MAYBE it has some more pics of Gemmer rifles in there as well.

Trail Creek Trade Co. has a Gemmer Spencer conversion listed for sale for only $21,000 :shocked2: (I am not the owner nor do I have any relationship with the seller). They might send you pictures of it if you ask.

There is a great series of photos of an original Gemmer Spencer at this site:[url] http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=10019.0[/url]
I'm (still) working on a Gemmer Hawken from St. Louis Plains Rifle Company:
([url] http://www.donstith.com/[/url] ). The proprietor, Don Stith, knows as much about Gemmer and his products as anybody anywhere. He may even be able to put together a partial parts set for you. Contact him at [email protected] .

Regards,
Clay
San Jose CA

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been lucky enough to handle a friend's Gemmer Spencer - sorry, no photos. He also owns the one large-frame takedown Spencer known, serial #6! He's out of state, so I can't rush over and snap a pic or two for you, but the buttstock was standard, and it had an extremely heavy octagon barrel on it and if I remember correctly, a half-stock forend with an iron nosecap. Sorry I can't be more specific. It was brown patina, but there's no telling, at least to my eye, whether the barrel was originally blued. A modern Gemmer would be a hoot in .50 cal. One in .45 Colt or .44 Russian, which is also offered, would beg the question - why?

Cowboy Action Shooting
That way they can use the same ammo in their rifle that they use in their revolvers.

Regards, Dave

Yep in cowboy action shooing the main match rifle must be in pistol caliber such as .45 Colt, 44 Russian. Only see an occaisional repro Spencer at a CAS match the carbines are only seven shot repeaters and most of our rifle stages require ten shots meaning that a Spencer shooter would need to load three additional rounds while on the clock. I saw a couple of original Gemmer Spencer conversions while down at the Buffalo Bill Historic Center in Cody Wyoming about three years ago. One of them reportedly belonged to Liver Eatin Johnson who spent his later years living in Cody.

Back