• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackdaws with a Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a hour this morning at jackdaws [crow Family} on a barley stubble over decoys with a flint lock ended with eight jacks and a jay .
Feltwad

Cynthialee said:
Pest control at its finest. :)

They are rather small aren't they? 9 more and you may get a thimble or 2 of broth.
:hmm:
It will definitely not be me that will be eating them but Mr Fox will enjoy them tonight
Feltwad

I like crows and ravens, never seen a jackdaw although I've read about them. I don't shoot any of them because they are just so darn intelligent. They are tool makers and can solve predicaments that confuse chimps. I do not begrudge, obviously, them being hunted; just me. :thumbsup:

I don't care to shoot them either due to how smart they are, but if I had a pest issue with them, my sentiments would be quickly set aside. A small flock of these dudes can do serious crop damage.

We have a few different black bird species around here but never in large flocks. Never seen a crow around here though.

Cynthialee said:
I don't care to shoot them either due to how smart they are, but if I had a pest issue with them, my sentiments would be quickly set aside. A small flock of these dudes can do serious crop damage.

We have a few different black bird species around here but never in large flocks. Never seen a crow around here though.
Here in the UK there is not hundreds but thousands of them ,this year has been a good breeding season for them mostly due to the mild winters we have had . When they hit a barley corn field in flocks of 2 and 3 hundred strong they can clean of a acre in a day, they are a
pest that is now out of control
Feltwad

This image was taken before the breeding season

upload photograph

Britsmoothy said:
Wow, that barley was cut late!

Nice photo :hatsoff:

B.
You will find that up north we are a month behind with cereal crops .
Feltwad

Britsmoothy said:
Aye maybe, was thinking over two months this year!

How far north are you by the way?

B.
Weardale on the Durham Northumberland border
Feltwad

Crows don't travel in huge flocks, just a few families at most. Ravens, even more so. also they are scavengers and eat everything from roadkill to toad livers (yes, that's right). Starlings, on the other hand, are serious pests and impossible to eliminate. Other blackbird species not nearly as
destructive.

I sat here staring at the picture thinking "They sure have short tails". Problem was 'jackdaw' to us is a whole different bird. To Texans it's Boat Tail Grackles which are bigger, darker with a sheen and the only common factor is they come in their thousands and thousands and eat and manure on everything they find. Add to that an irritating call and it's hard not to want to blast them into oblivion! :wink:

This is just one...add a couple hundred more adn it gets just insane! :haha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHssylmUos

Last edited by a moderator:
Back