• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

jackie brown in the white

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey swampy,just about finished with my first in the white project.I got the bear grease on the iron ,think it looks pretty good. gonna try to post some pics but having trouble with photobucket,but I,ll try.
71011115-1.jpg
71011113.jpg
71011114.jpg

hey swampy,yeah I got it ,got enough to do several love that stuff. If it,s half as good for lube as it is for seasoning that stuff is great.Going to try and get better pics but i'm having trouble getting photobucket to up load all my pics.I have shoved 70 grains of 3f and a fiber wad down the bore and made it boom,but haven't got to do any more with it.will update when I try some 600 balls next week. :thumbsup:

hey rifleman,its a jackie brown smoothie in 62 cal 42 in barrel oct to round large siler lock.Jackie called it a carolina poorboy.I added a buttplate but other than that and the siler it's pretty much one of his standard builds.

I had a JB .54 pretty much like that ten years ago and I will say it is one of the most comfortable guns to bring to shoulder and eye that I have had, the Fusil I shoot now is the only other one close, actually better for me as I made it fit so to speak, but the JB guns are a nice fit IMHO, nice looking job on that one.

I really like the color of that one, is that a Queen Ann lock? I had that lock on my JB smoothrifle. I went for a circa 1800 look with iron tg/side washer and brown finish, no buttplate or nosecap or entry pipe and just a "tallow hole" in the buttsock it was a .54 and shot very well, I only sold it as I found another project I wanted to buy parts for more than I liked the JB gun.I did return three guns before accepting one, I think it was just a real bad time for the builder then on a personal level as lately I hear good things again about these guns.

The stain is fiebings dark brown leather dye. I took alot of wood off the stock. I got rid of the cheek piece. Carved the ballister wrist. I had to cut the stock back at the nose because it came split. The lock is a queen anne. I had to order a sear spring for it. It came sans a sear spring. You kinda need that. The first barrel had a groove that went clear to the breach. One groove rifling? I still need to do somthing about the side plate. Oh and the stock had powder post beetle holes in it. Come on Jackie every time can't be a bad time.

010-5.jpg

008-3.jpg

I think Jackie uses tubeing to make his barrels
Kind of like the Injun guns. That grouv you see is the seam on the seamless tubeing
But...at least it is made in America!
Deutsch

Then its not seamless is it? I know the colerain barrel on it now is Made in america. Thanks for the compliments TG I really worked hard polishing a turd. I had to cut about 5 inches off the barrel it came too long. The up side is I was able to balance this gun perfectly it only weighs A little over 6 pounds to boot.

I am just playing there Shine.....
I have a JB gun also ,I talked to him on the phone and he said that he ,and many other builders use tubeing for barrels of all sizes. I dont know how to explain it JB said the line up the barrel is not a seam but part of the process they use to make the tubeing. kinda LIKE CASTING MARKS ON BRASS. SOME FOLKS JUST DO A BETTER JOB OF GETTING RID OF IT. I hit caps by accident sorry
Deutsch

Well, I'm sure JB likes his tubing but the facts are that the only truly seamless tubing is too expensive and difficult to get for making barrels.

The "seamless" tubing used by some is actually welded tubing which has been run thru dies to smooth out the weld joint. This is often called "DOM" tubing which simply put means "Drawn Over Mandrel".
Doing this allows the tubing to be used with the various fittings that require an accurate, very smooth exterior.

While some DOM tubing is available in some high strength materials that may work for a gun barrel the vast majority of the DOM tubing is low carbon, low strength material that is totally unsuited for use as a gun barrel.

Any gun barrel from Colerain, Getz, Rice, Green Mountain, Orion, Douglas, Numrich etc is made from wrought material, not DOM tubing.

If you run your finger across it feels like a rifleling groove. Its deep. Any way I complained and he did provide a proper barrel. In time.

Latest posts

Back