• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JackRabbit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poordevil

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I took out my little 20" BBL 16ga. North Star West gun this morning. I was using 1. 1/8 oz #8 shot and about 65 gr 3FFFg. Something I did for the first time today, was use some old terry cloth towel , cut square and dipped in hot mutton tallow and bees wax. That made them kind of stiff.

Put that over powder then poured shot in paper tube that was also lubed, with enough space to fold over to hold in the shot. Wandered the desert and found a Jack Rabbit willing to cooperate. That is my first Flintlock game.

I know that back in the old days, the name Canoe Gun was not used, that is why I did not use it here. But this 16ga blaster is such a snorter, that it must be called something, so I will call a Pocket Battleship! The Jack Rabbits love it!

P

Using #8 shot instead of six or larger on jackrabbits and getting it; shows you know your limits on range. Most of us here in Ohio use six on cottontails which are not as hard to kill as Jacks :hmm: . Knowing your guns limits is a major part of the game and you have shown you know yours! :hmm:

Congrats poordevil on your jack. i agree with ohioramrod about using 6's. i do usually change to 5's or 4's after x-mas because of longer shots and thicker fur on our cottontails.

Trail gun is good. I really do like the name Canoe Gun though. But down here on the Border it may never ever see Water!

I was not sure I would like it, but it is so easy to carry and use. I am real happy with it.

P

You are both right. I cut up a couple of 12 ga shells as I do not have a bag of shot yet. I think 4 shot would be the way to go. #8 shot is light for Jacks. I was looking for Cottontail, but as I said, the Jack was too cooperative.

It is a fun little gun. I will try to post some pics .

P

Most guys who complain about the term "canoe gun" are real proud of their "barn guns." Ain't no history for that name either, and they're talking about both sides of their mouths.

Go ahead and call it what you want, but keep reporting how it shoots. I've been thinking hard about a 16/69, and you're one heck of a salesman! :hatsoff:

Get a hold of Matt at North Star West. He may have a few more 16ga Canoe GUn BBLs.

I was going to have sling swivels put on it, but changed my mind...did not want to upset the nice lines of it. I am going to make a Quiver for it.

p

I can't seem to open this photo???
please help ,,,my computer skills are lacking.

Back