• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jacob got his antelope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well today was the first day of Jacobs first antelope hunt. It was also his first time to hunt them with a muzzleloader. We have scouted a lot this summer and saw a lot of bucks. As his hunt grew near the water and the bucks in the area were in short supply. To top off a little bad luck it rained the last couple of days so the antelope were not on water, and I forgot Jacobs’s shooting sticks. Well I found a couple of alder sticks on the road to his area, and made a set of shooting sticks with a string.

For this hunt we decided to try a new tactic. We were going to hunt scrapes. We found a spot that had a lot of sign and the bucks had scraped and peed there a bunch. We sat up a blind and we set out a decoy. We saw a few does at first light. At about 9:30 I look over and told Jacob that a buck was here.
He asked about shooting it and I told him it was his hunt he would need to decide for him self. Soon he said I am going to try it. I was watching out of a hole in the blind. I had used the range finder and he had the yardage, he set the sight for 86 yards, and all that was left was to get into shooting position without being seen. This is what the antelope saw.

Jacobshunt06.jpg

He eased the rifle up and the antelope had him pegged. The buck stared at us and I thought at any second he would bolt. The buck turned his head and Jacob got the big 50 on the shooting sticks. I heard the hammer cock. I heard the set trigger snap. I eased my finger into my left ear and watched. At the shot I saw the bucks whole left side sink in. I saw the buck thrown sideways a step. A huge hunk of hair was hanging in the air. I also saw the bullet skip at least four times across the dirt and grass kicking up dust. The buck was on the run now. Jacob said I could not have missed! I said, “you didn’t”. The buck wobbled and I saw the blood coming out of a hole in his ribs. A couple more steps and the buck was down. The big 460 grain Paper Patched slug had done the job.

He was so happy he had a smile all over his face. He had just killed his first Muzzleloader antelope buck. I was way more than excited for him. Ron

Jacobshunt11.jpg

Jacobshunt07.jpg

Jacobshunt08.jpg

Jacobshunt02.jpg

Jacobshunt05.jpg

Awesome Ron. I know you and your son were super excited. Those are memories that will last a lifetime. Congrats.

Thats some good shooting! 89 yrds! I wish I could see good enough at that range to take a shot. But right now it's a no go for me. :( 75 yrds max right now and thats pushing it. How do they eat? I've heard conflicting reports.

Awesome job on guiding and the shot!..Great blind.... that's blending in.
Congrats to your son :thumbsup:

Good for the both of you! & I love seeing pics of that hot-rod Hawken in use! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So I gotta ask Ron. Who had the bigger smile on there faces, you or him? :wink:

A moment that neither will forget I am sure!

Congrats too both of you! :thumbsup:

Armakiller, I'll throw in my two bits.
Pronghorn is a bit more gamey than deer or elk, and especially if they've been run hard. I try to shoot an animal that has been bedded or just moseyin' along. I would eat those goats all day long, I'm one who loves the meat.

armakiller said:
How do they eat? I've heard conflicting reports.

In my long experience with them, the conflict you cite is a direct measure of the guys caring for the meat. Do a good job, and they're fantastic. Blow it, and you've ruined a fine animal.

:hatsoff:

Congratulations - nice story and pics that's something to be told over again and again at the campfire.

Silex

Back