• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

jaeger kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok after reading the thread about Jaeger shooters in the flintlock section I am considering doing one of these guns in the future. I know track and R.E. Davis both sell Jaeger component sets. Has anyone had any experience with these or recomend another source. This probably won't happen until spring but I like to plan in advance so I have plenty of time to change my mind. :rotf:

I don't like ANY of the "Jaeger" precarves that are available. None.

I'll have a PC jeager kit up and running by then if you're interested. :grin: Drop me an email if you want one.

Try pecatonica. I know they have a Jeager kit. Don't know how closethey are to the real thing but they look nice i the picture. Prices seem a bit cheaper than TOW also. I bought a fowler stock from them and the wood was much nicer than I expected for the money.

I'm thinking that after I get my just arrived Chambers kit done I'll be doing a Jeager,It's gonna have to be scratch built though cause no-one offers a lefty version , but thats ok,:)

Dunlap woodcrafts has a kit. Look it up. It comes with a Getz barrel but its a shame that it comes with a Davis lock. Chambers locks would be much better. I don't like the Davis triggerguard either. It seems the wood might be better anyway.

Dunlap's doesn't have it in a lefty Jaeger, as there is not a lefty Jaeger lock avail. I am going to attempt to make a lefty Jaeger lock someday, as I have a stock ready & the barrel inlet, just need a lock now. That is on my loooonnnnnnggggg list of "things to do". :haha:

Jaeger rifles are all different, because there have been many different small jurisdictions back then in the german speaking area and thus a lot of different preferences by the nobility. Generally the southern german guns look different than the north german guns, often having the trigger guard carved from wood instead of brass or iron. See this converted original here: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2330168#img
Typical austrian(southern) style furniture about 1750-1760(like my original in the photo section)and the wooden trigger guard.
The same at this gun: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2335272#img

Wooden trigger guard and checkered wrist area,like on mine in the photo section. Moderate to no carving.
Then there are a ton more pieces over here in museums (for example in the Badanian State Museum in Karlsruhe).

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, go to www.hermann-historica.com , a German auction house. Look at their auction catalogs, and you will find pretty good photos of LOTS of German rifles and smoothbores (and Italian, and some Spanish and French).

If you're really interested, you MUST get the "Steinschloss Jaegerbuechsen" book By Erhard Wolf, available from Chambers. I have about the last 10 years worth of Hermann Historica catalogs, lots of German books (most of them, I got from H-H...). There's really not much available in English. Most importantly, go to gunshows. Large gunshows where there will be antique gun dealers. Chances are, at least one of them will have an 18th century German gun of some kind. Look at it, handle it, study it...and if you like it, buy it... Definitely a less expensive hobby than collecting American longrifles...

If you are used to modern guns, 19th century guns, or modern precarves, you will find that the 18th century German rifle is NOTHING like any of them. Gives me the willies when I see a precarved "1750 Jaeger" stock, or some other modern attempt that has 3 1/2" of drop at the heel, and a 1 3/8" wide wrist... :barf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Gentlemen. I never thought about Dunlap. I have had no problems with Davis locks so that wouldn't be an issue for me. Tecumtha and Chris thanks for websites, I'll be sure to check them out and Mike an e-mail is forthcoming.

This may not be a Jeager but I like it's looks. It is a German rifle from 1810. It was said that it was a 2 piece stock but I don't think it is. It is very sleek. If this was built and had a swamped barrel and a flint lock I think it might make a nice practical hunting rifle in .54 caliber. Maybe a tad more length to the barrel for me. Couldn't resist pointing it out once again. It just looks cool.

Link

I had the opportunity to examine some original Jaegers at the Oregon Gunmaker's Fair this year. I had always thought that the Jaeger rifle was too short, but after handling these rifles I was impressed with the fit and balance. I wouldn't mind having one for a hunting rifle...

Scott

A Jaeger is a Awesome handling deer rifle...... I hunted with one for years.......Easy to carry, sling if you need it, short & easy to load, good weight to handle the recoil & absolutely wonderful balance. I have a 31" & a 37" barreled one & they are both great, me preferring the 31"..........
:thumbsup:

Jeager rifles were not all short, some were quite long, over 40" barrels were not unheard of, all though most were pretty short, I had an original jeager dated 1747 and it had a small round faced lock similar to a queen anne lock. All furniture was carved out of the stock including the buttplate, trigger guard and even the entry thimble, and you had to really look hard to see it wasn't a seperate piece, it was simply amazing work it even had fake screws carved into the stock, that looked real. I don't like the current batch of "jeager locks" I think they all basicly look the same and are on the large side, wish they would make more variations, but I know it's not as simple as punching #'s into a computer.

I'm hoping to get up to Ken Netting's shop this weekend. He has an origional Jaeger that had been converted to percussion at some point in it's lifetime. If I remember the lock had almost an English look to it and the gun was fairly plain, tastefully carved and decorated with a hunter's star on the check piece in alternating ebony and ivory.

When I see a custom built .45 caliber Jaeger I always wonder what the maker was thinking. I don't know but I was under the impression that they were mostly big bore rifles and meant for larger caliber barrels. It kinda defeats the purpose to carry a small bored Jaeger because of the weight I would think. I like the slings. The barrel should be swamped that's for sure. Less weight better balance. Pedersoli Jaegers weigh 9 lbs. even though they are very short.

From what Ive gathered the short barrels you generally see are because of dense forests where you can get hung up on branches. I have heard of original Jaegers with 37 inch barrels. The transitional Edward Marshall rifle has a 37" inch barrel. This one only weighs 8 lbs in .58 caliber but no sling. The text is a typo.

Link

Thinking from a practical point of view for hunting a .54 caliber seems ideal to me. Everyone says how great these rifles handle and that's a good point. You would only need 35" or so of barrel to burn all the powder with a heavy load in a .54 caliber barrel. If you were to make it a .54, then the stock could be slimmed down a bit because you don't need the stock weight to manage heavy recoil.

There might be a happy medium but I think it would take a builder with experience to find it. Of course the rifle should fit you first and you should try to stay in historical guidelines as much as possible. I wouldn't rush right into anything just yet. Still searching for the "ideal" traditional big game rifle and Jaegers and transitional rifles make some real good sense to me. I'm still learning though.
:hatsoff:

I believe rifles were used at least as much for target shooting as for hunting (hence the universal use of set triggers, and two-range rear sights). Shorter guns balance perfectly on the left hand, right in front of the lock.

A well-built 18th century German rifle is one of the most ergonomically designed shooting machines ever. :wink:

The "Marshall" gun is HUGE...even by German standards. The butt is thick, the wrist is really wide and really tall. Very large proportions overall. Essentially a German gun stocked in American maple. Now, Chambers has a kit for this gun that is pretty well designed. If you want something ready-made that is close to a "proper" German gun, this would be the one to go with.

As a general rule, German rifle barrels are in the 24"-30" range. Average about .58 cal. Sometimes smaller (ocassionally much smaller), often larger. I have photos of only ONE known Swiss rifle, and ONE suspected Swiss rifle. Both have long (40"+) barrels. Based on this very sparse evidence, I wonder if this was more normal on Swiss rifles than those from the other German states....longer rifle barrels, while seen occasionally, are actually pretty rare, and usually those are small caliber "bird stalking" rifles. Not counting the heavy barreled bench rifles, which are fairly common and usually 40+ inches.

By the way, here's a ca 1770 German bench rifle, held by the late, great Ron Ehlert.
Germanbenchrifle2.jpg

Latest posts

Back