• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

jaeger kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right about the Chambers Marshall rifle. If I were to buy one I'd go with the .58 caliber not the .54 cailber. It does appear that it might be best for managing the recoil and I think a .54 would weigh more which is counterproductive. Too bad they don't make a .60 caliber kit. I agree with you about the other precarve stocks not being up to snuff. The Pecatonica River transitional stock looks nothing like the the Chambers stock either.

I'd just like to add a few things here. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation concerning hunting guns made in the 18th century in the German regions. Ive spent 30 years looking at these things when everybody else was looking at guns made in North America.
"Jeager" have no more or less wood than is necessary to build the gun. The hunting guns are light weight and handy. The barrels have large breeches and bores and rapidly tapering swamped barrels that remove the weight. The off hand target rifles are heavy, most I've sen were around .45 cal. They still have slightly swamped barrels, but they were definitely building the weight in on purpose. The target rifles are as slim and racy as the barrels will allow. The bench guns can be real whoppers in the 20lbs + range and large calibered.
There are some really awfull representations being built today being built by people who have never handled the antique guns in person. Take a thumb through in Shumway's VOL I and look at the dimensions of these guns. Yes, they may be slightly larger in some dimensions, but they are compensating for a massive breech. Today's uninformed builders have this mind set you have to leave all kinds of extra wood on these guns. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
The earlier (pre 1700 more or less) can be a little pregnant in the buttstock, butt not the horrid exaggerations that are made today.

Stophel said:
Fore end swells.... :barf: who the h377 came up with that idea????
The DutcH? Carried over to british militay muskets but they eventually got over it. :haha:

SOOO many "Jaegers" made by people today have these huge, dogknot Brown Bess/Dutch musket swells on the fore end. Why????? Raised carving, yes; swells, definitely no...

Stophel said:
SOOO many "Jaegers" made by people today have these huge, dogknot Brown Bess/Dutch musket swells on the fore end. Why????? Raised carving, yes; swells, definitely no...
I like the HUGE lock panels myself. :grin:

As a general rule, the lock panel edge of wood surrounding the lock should be VERY narrow.

I went over to Tip Curtis's place (615-654-4445) to get a few things last Friday, and he had a good looking fancy walnut stock with the wood patchbox inlet setting in his rack. It made me want to impulse buy before I left. I can't remember what lock it was inlet for, but it had great figure in the lid and butt area.
Roger Sells

Back