• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jared185 asked the question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What kind of charge should I put in the t/c new englander is there a sweet spot for accuracy or is that something u have to figure out on your own?

For a heavy bullet to reach out as far with iron sights as possible, my advice would be to try the TC tang peep sight and TC maxihunter with the maximum charge recommended in the TC manual. You will need a superior lube. I'd recommend brewing up your own out of beeswax from a neighborhood keeper, olive oil and lanolin. It's messy, sticky, smeary, slick, makes you loose your grip while softening your callouses and helping those wind burned chapped lips. And it prevents a lot of barrel leading too. Also, I'd recommend a 9/16" punch to make slightly oversized card wads out of milk cartons or my personal favorite, those spongy pressed paper egg cartons that soak up melted lube so good.
Concerning the TC peep, I have one on my New Englander and really love it.
If you were to go this route you might find that a little alloying of the lead works better than pure lead, just like folks did century before last.
Good luck, best wishes and have fun!

Good advice.
I will add that every barrel has its own harmonics and the sweet spot often will differ from barrel to barrel. I would start at 80 grains of FFg and shoot a three shot group and then up it 5 grains to 85 and do another 3 shot group all the way to 110 grains. (All this at a 25 yard target) at the end pick the one that gave you the most accurate group. You can repeat tyhe process with differant types of bullets as well to further tune it in. (obviously what ever group you get at 25 yards will be 4 times as big at 100 yards so you are wanting clover leafs at 25 yards at least...)

Thanks for the very helpful info the t/c new englander seems to be a really fine ml. Also a lot of the stuff like talking about milk cartons and stuff is a little foriegn to me like I said all the shooting ive done thus far with mls is pouring in powder putting a pre lubed wad around a ball and shooting it so im still learning and wanting to become an advanced with mls as well as I am with cf

Back