• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Javelina with my Flintlock in Arizona Video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballandcap

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just wanted to share my recent Javelina hunt video that I just put together. This is my first big game with my flinter and my first attempt at making and editing a hunting video.

I have had a TON of point of impact issues with this gun, talked to a few people and I think I am just going to have this gun rebarreled, but this is a whole topic w/in itself.

Every time I would shoot I'd be shooting way left or right and have had to drift the sights the opposite way and has made this gun unpredictable. A few weeks before my hunt my point of impact was now about 8" low and 10" left at 100 yards! My first shot did not hit where it needed to, but all of this made for great video and I am glad it turned out how it did.

I spent 2 afternoons during my hunt shooting this gun with 1 shot drills and it all worked out in the end. After the first series of "events" I changed from 3F in the pan to 4F, man there is a HUGE difference in this gun at least. With 3F I can easily flinch from the time the hammer drops and the gun fires. 4F not as bad.

Still can't post pics so I don't have any for now.

Now please don't knock me because I am a modern guy trying to move backwards and get into the sport and would rather not be bagged on for wearing modern camo and stuff like that, thank you.

Now I will however welcome anything constructive, especially about representing black powder, proper lingo, and terms since I am pretty new to this, and even newer to flinters.

I hope you enjoy the hunt, I know I did!

This is a 2 part video, watch them in order.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFCSwBrnNA

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQaEUD6fqfU

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a real nice film. You, did a fine job on that hunt. I have hunted those smelly little critters around Wilcox and Douglas. :)

Trueth? I think your heart was in the right place but...I only watched the first vid, that was enough for me. I don't understand all the text people need to put into their movies, if your going to narrate, narrate. You don't need all that text getting in the way. Also I just don't understand the choice of music used in most of these video's, they are are just totally out of place on a primitive hunt.

I saw you had issues with your gun and you explain about the challenge it took to go off. Obviously theres something wrong with the gun and you make note of that in your post about getting it fixed. Good, because you should have no problem with it being reliable as long as it is capable and you do your part. Just my opinion. :v

I enjoyed it.. :thumbsup: but I also agree with Swampy. I did watch both parts.. but just from watching the first part it was sounding like flinters are more unpredictable than cap guns.. not that you were having issues with that particular flinter. I liked the misfire actually, good to see things do go wrong. I listen to all types of music... actually listening to Ministry and Tool now while laying out carving patterns :haha: but for some reason I really never cared for rock-n-roll hunting. :v

As far as your gun not being as accurate that you want, it sounds like it could be a binding issue with one of the barrel lugs, or a breech problem.

I've watched a ton of these hunting and fishing videos on line that have been done by amatures. That is one of the best I've seen. Really nicely done.

Regarding the music, lots of the others I've watched have music in the background the whole time and that really gets on my nerves, but I think you used just the right amount for my taste. I love listening to the wind blow and people whispering and even just walking as quietly as possible.

Real nice camera work and NICE shot!

That gun should be a whole lot more reliable than that. Keep fiddling and you'll figure out what's going on. Make sure you are practicing off of really good rests so you can eliminate yourself as a factor.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

I liked it. Ditto on not to keen on the music. An ongoing narration would be nice. Could that be done as a voiceover during editing?

It reminded me of the Blazing Saddles scene where Count Basie and his orchestra are playing the background music on the prairie while Clevon Little rides past. :haha: I kept looking for your band.

An enjoyable video and thanks for posting.

That sure is some pretty country you have there, and the hunting looks like a real hoot. I assume it is just cool enough that the various snakes aren't quite so active yet? The other guys are right: Your flinter should be more reliable than it is.

Kewl video. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

PS- I think the reason you were having trouble sneaking up on them in the first video was because the music was too loud. :wink: :v

Thank you for the honesty and that is exactly what I want to hear, I'd almost rather hear the critisizm because I want to improve, especially since this is my first try at it.

I understand this hunt is not a primitive situation, and may not even belong here at all? ********If not please delete this.**********
To be honest with you I have not even seen a primitive hunting video up to this point. Any reccomendations?
I would love to get to that point someday, maybe sooner than later?

Many of you have been at this for decades and may have even grown up this way, me just a couple of years. I have a lot to learn and am most likely from a complete different walk of life than many of you.

I listen to all types of music as well, very interesting point about it not having a place in a primitve type of hunt, or at least weapon, but then again I am wearing modern camo and accessories. I was trying to add an element of excitement and intensity through the music, but not for all and not for a primitive hunt.

Part of my purpose for this video was to help create exposure to black powder for people that may have never considered it and I hoped to spark interest and excitement, or at least curiosity. I was remembering a post I saw recently about needing videos that helped promote the sport and exposure while I was making this, not neccessarily 100% primitive or tradtional.

Another good point about the text, I was trying to document the hunt the best I could without too much narration and not too much text, maybe all narration would be a better choice? I narrated while I was editing the video.

I was trying to say that this flinter was the one that was giving me fits, not all flinters in general, I hope I don't give them a bad name because I am having a ball with them. I should have been more specific. I felt I did my part to get it to go off. After the shot I blew down the barrel to help clear the vent and extinguish any ambers, you can see me picking the vent after I loaded but barrel failed to go off, my pan always burns though. Maybe after the shot the barrel fouling stops the ball by the breech and makes it feel like the ball is all the way down against the powder? This has happened a few times and thought I'd just dryballed even though I was sure I'd powdered it.

I have a Renegade flinter that shoots straight and don't have problems with. I've never had a missfire with a caplock gun to this point. There is a HUGE lock time difference between my flinter and cap gun, enough time to flinch and miss or make a bad shot. I am still confused when I hear a flinter should be as fast if not faster. Maybe I just need the correctly tuned lock and gun.

Thanks again for the comments. Obviously this may not even belong here in tradtional hunting, especially for the veterans instead of weekend warriors like myself.

I honestly have been very hesitant about even posting this up here because I know how pure a lot of the crowd is. Unfortunately I feel this dicourages newbee participation instead of encouraging them to grow more into the world of b.p. like it should.

P.S. this was supposed to be a general reply and not just to greywhiskers, I hate when I do that.

ballandcap said:
Thank you for the honesty and that is exactly what I want to hear, I'd almost rather hear the critisizm because I want to improve, especially since this is my first try at it.

I understand this hunt is not a primitive situation, and may not even belong here at all? ********If not please delete this.**********
To be honest with you I have not even seen a primitive hunting video up to this point. Any reccomendations?
I would love to get to that point someday, maybe sooner than later?

Many of you have been at this for decades and may have even grown up this way, me just a couple of years. I have a lot to learn and am most likely from a complete different walk of life than many of you.

I listen to all types of music as well, very interesting point about it not having a place in a primitve type of hunt, or at least weapon, but then again I am wearing modern camo and accessories. I was trying to add an element of excitement and intensity through the music, but not for all and not for a primitive hunt.

Part of my purpose for this video was to help create exposure to black powder for people that may have never considered it and I hoped to spark interest and excitement, or at least curiosity. I was remembering a post I saw recently about needing videos that helped promote the sport and exposure while I was making this, not neccessarily 100% primitive or tradtional.

Another good point about the text, I was trying to document the hunt the best I could without too much narration and not too much text, maybe all narration would be a better choice?

I was trying to say that this flinter was the one that was giving me fits, not all flinters in general, I hope I don't give them a bad name because I am having a ball with them. I should have been more specific. I felt I did my part to get it to go off. After the shot I blew down the barrel to help clear the vent and extinguish any ambers, you can see me picking the vent after I loaded but barrel failed to go off, my pan always burns though. Maybe after the shot the barrel fouling stops the ball by the breech and makes it feel like the ball is all the way down against the powder? This has happened a few times and thought I'd just dryballed even though I was sure I'd powdered it.

I have a Renegade flinter that shoots straight and don't have problems with. I've never had a missfire with a caplock gun to this point.

Thanks again for the comments. Obviously this may not even belong here in tradtional hunting, especially for the veterans instead of weekend warriors like myself. I apologize if not.

P.S. this was supposed to be a general reply and not just to greywhiskers, I hate when I do that.

Speaking for myself only.

I think you may have misunderstood that theres no or very little hunting shows or vid's on the hunting (TV) as most everything is modern stuff. Youtube is actually full of primitive hunting vids or at least last I knew, most I couldn't watch myself. I like music, hell man rock and roll from the classics to hard rock but I just don't think most people give the sound track much thought. You really don't need one. I like to hear the sounds of the hunt. As to text, I'd much rather listen to someone telling me whats going on and be able to see the scenery than have that obscured by text.

Thats why I try to keep my videos short and to the point. :v

I enjoyed the video especially the documentation of spotting, hunting, flushing, stalking and waiting for the shot of your javelina.

Comment on the music, I am old enough my hearing isn't like it used to be, so some of your conversations were missed because I had turned the sound down. There was a difference of volume between the two.

Keep up the work on getting your flinter dialed in, when it is right you will not notice a difference in the lock time.

I like rock myself as well but for some reason hunting and rock don't mix for me.Perhaps with this kind of hunt a little fiddle in the beginning and at the end with none in the middle? Lose most of the words on the screen and replace with softly spoken words.Nice camera work and I thought things flowed nicely.Of coarse who am I to give advise about making videos...

I have been there and done that. This was a real hunt for Javelina. Anyone who has ever hunted very much with any weapon has had problems. Whats wrong with that? What music? That is like a hunters rifle shot. I never hear it. :shake:

I enjoyed the hunt for the most part, my only issue was one of the early shots was taken on what seems like a sky line shot, from the camera angle. May not have been from the shooters view, just going off what I saw. Other than that I was glad to have seen the video :)

Gotspark said:
I like rock myself as well but for some reason hunting and rock don't mix for me.Perhaps with this kind of hunt a little fiddle in the beginning and at the end with none in the middle? Lose most of the words on the screen and replace with softly spoken words.Nice camera work and I thought things flowed nicely.Of coarse who am I to give advise about making videos...

Just go out and hunt, make a video. You don't need no fiddle, no music at all and no text. :v

I liked it and I liked the music. (God, Guns and Rock & Roll!) Your Javalina look a lot different than here in Texas, ours look a lot more brown. I read that they are actually not pigs, but some how related more to buffalo than swine. I'm no wildlife biologist, but that info was at a Texas DPW facility. Anyway, good job
:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back