• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jerahmia Johnson question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can live with and enjoy hollywoodeven though they play with the facts and story lines but I cannot stand seeing absolute out of place equipment and gear....1897 Winchester in a civil war flick and such, of late films have gone a long way in making this aspect better.

oomcurt said:
Just adding my two cents. Kinda amuzing actually...this thread. I think the thing to bear in mind is...This is a movie! It is not, nor have I ever heard it termed as a documentary. I wonder what would be written here if the title was "Joe Black" or something. Did/do I enjoy the movie? Dang right I did. Did I watch it as a study in historical accuracy? Hell no I didn't. Now I am not knocking those who are into that thing, but I do wonder why every bloomin thing that hollywood puts out HAS to be accurate to the nth degree, expecially if one considers that the movie industry is geared to entertainment not teaching history. Man, I feel sorry for those whose only enjoyment seems to be nit picking.

:thumbsup: Couldn't have said it as politely as you did - thanks. Last line sums up this palaver quite well. :thumbsup:

I remember having a friend watch "The Wild Bunch" and him telling me he'd turned it off in the middle of the opening gunfight, because the blood blowing out the backs of guys who'd been shot was the wrong color. The same individual also gave everyone near our seats a running commentary on the errors in "The Patriot" -- while the movie was playing. He probably would have critiqued the technique our fellow moviegoears were using as they tarred-and-feathered him, if his wife hadn't finally convinced him to shut up. Needless to say, that was the last movie I tried to watch with him.

mongrel,
I think we all know someone like that. I know several. I just don't watch movies with them.
Movies to me are made for entertainment. If nothing else they create interest.
I remember a few years back watching the
series "Shaka Zulu" and after watching it read
4 books on the subject, that i would not have read
without watching that series. Was the series
historicly correct, maybe 50% according to the
books. My point being the TV series perked my
interest in a subject i knew nothing about. :hmm:
Sorry for getting off topic
snake-eyes

I like to watch the movie too, but not to gather historical content. It's just a movie!

I do like to think what it would have been like with Clint Eastwood. "This is a .54 cal. Hawken, the most powerful Rifle in the World.""During all the confusion, I can't remember if I fired it or not." "Question is, Do ya feel lucky....." :haha:

My opinion is that, yes, it is hollywood. I bet if one were to ask, Robert was simply doing what he does naturally. He loves horses and they just didn't cut it out.
Also, I would bet that there was a good reason for getting a new horse, and it al lended up on the cutting room floor because, well, as stated, it is hollywood. LOL
Not sure on the rifles, other than being hollywood, they may have had to use whatever was available?

I will also add that even the "History Channel" has a few "glaring" mistakes in some of their productions as well.The Mountain Men one has more than a couple T/C Hawkens show up in some scenes..keep in mind guys that these films are produced to entertain or inform folks who don't know as much as we do about the subject. :winking:

Also, with the History Channel...at times they put thier own slant on things. No way would I take what they say as absolute truth. At times they generealize to much to call it "History", but then as with anything else on tv or the film industry...there is cost...as well as who or what is funding the program.

I think TV and movies are probably the main source of inspiration for most of the people who get into reenacting. Jeremiah Johnson should have been titled "Liver-Eating Johnson"- but no Hollywood movie of this sort would be names for a cannibal. The first TV programs that I can think of as a child that made me want to wear a coonskin cap were Davy Crockett and The Last of the Mohicans. Neither were biographically or historically accurate, but I loved them. Enjoy and relax! :hatsoff:

I agree-the movie "Last of the dogmen"-is one of my favorites. Is it PC?-hell no. Is it fun to watch?- hell yes

Well Oak, I had to watch the movie again to see the scene that you're talking about. Not only is Johnson rubbing his hands & upper body on his horse's forequarters, Del Gue is rubbing his hands on the horse's rump. So, you're probably right. They appear to be trying to cover their scent with the horse's. However, this was Johnson's horse- not Del Gue's, so his horses wouldn't recognize the scent. They might even whinny due to smelling an unknown horse approach. Still love the movie :grin: .
Wanders

Wanders said:
Well Oak, I had to watch the movie again to see the scene that you're talking about. Not only is Johnson rubbing his hands & upper body on his horse's forequarters, Del Gue is rubbing his hands on the horse's rump.

:shocked2: Don't even go there gurlfriend .. un uhh! :nono: :rotf:

Davy

Darkhorse,
It works I didn't even hear the horses till he put his hand over the muzzle.
it's right up there with
"ssshh... listen... smell that?
:thumbsup:

I shoe horses for a living....I really can't speak for why they did that in the movie. But I kinow that when I am working around these critters My hands are on em...Horses have blind spots and I like to let em know thaT i am there. Even being careful, I have been sent to the emergency room more than once...I try to take all the precautions I can....Now Hollywood may have different ideas

Saw this thread earlier and had to dig out my old tape of this movie and watched part (up to where he gets the gift from the flatheads). With all faults, its still one of my altime favorites.

About the rifles, did you notice the brass hardware on those "genuine hawkens) including the ramrod pipes, trigger guard, and butt plate. Where are the Hawken police when we need 'em.

Latest posts

Back