• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Chambers Lock Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I would doubt very seriously if they would carry a reamer. This would reguire I machine tool type of store that would carry things like end mills, slab cutters, etc. The price of a reamer would approach the cost of getting the lock built from Chambers to begin with. If you have a friend that has a machine shop or works in a machine shop, he may be able to do it for you. Otherwise the cost of a one time job would exceed any savings you would save.

I've built 2 of Chambers lock kits. The first one was at the lock making course at Bowling Green Kentucky under Jim Chambers guidence. The other I started there and finished at home. They are time consuming to do especially if you hate polishing. That said I have fired off the first one I built a hundred times since I made it 5 years ago. It is not in a gun just on the shelf. It still has the first flint in it and I have yet to sharpen the flint. It is smooth as can be to cock.
The dimples were in the right place for drilling. The comment above about needing the tooling is right. It is a false economy to figure you will save money. Your time is worth something. You aren't going to do one in an afternoon. That said it is a learning experience and there is a sense of satisfaction at having a smooth operating lock.

When I was a tool and diemaker, if a hole size was required and no standard reamer was available, a suitably sized drill {no., letter or fraction} was used but w/ the cutting lips rounded over and it acted just like a reamer. For a tumbler hole in the lockplate, drill 1/64" undersize and then slow the DP speed down and "ream" w/ the rounded over dtill bit. A very smooth, accurately sized hole is produced using a much cheaper tool....Fred

A 5/16" chucking reamer will cost between $9.00 for an imported one to $50.00+ from one of the big tool suppliers (MSC, ENCO, etc).

Back