• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim chambers pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one and like it. I understand that the barrel was made long enough to meet hunting requirements in some states but think it would both look and balance better if a bit shorter. The kit requires a lot of finish work. I coned my barrel to ease loading without a bench or table handy. With time and some skill, the kit makes a very nice gun. :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of building one. This is my first attempt !!! The Kit is the best on the marke however. Be very very carefull the inletting is just about perfect. I screwed up in a few places by takeing too much off. Be carefull when drilling the lock bolts. The side plate is marked for the screw holes but the front lock bolt
will hit the main spring if you don't angle it a hair. I had to file the main spring a little. The
Trigger is trickey, I had to cut and file the trigger cut out longer to line up with the sear. Even though this is sold as a kit it is in no way a drop in the parts and slap on the finish project. Go slow and think before you remove any wood or drill any holes. I've learned a lot by building this kit and although I've made quite a few mistakes it should finish into a decent pistol. My next build will be from Scratch. Do yourself a Favor and buy the Two DVD set on building the Kentucky Pistol by Mike Miller. Watch it a few times, and then watch it again.

Good Luck
Rick

Thanks for the heads up on the problems with this kit. I was going to build from scratch, and build more of target pistol, no ramrod, similar to a Le page. But talked to Karen Chambers for a while, nice lady, and ordered it. I have built a few guns from scratch and except for taking a little longer to prepare the stock, have had less problems than with the kits! Hope to get mine next week. good luck, and post some pictures..I'm finishing up a Pecatonica River .40 cal Southern mountain, might put it on the back burner for awhile and start the pistol...Johnnie

I am a little concerned about the barrel length. I have a percussion .40 cal with a 12" barrel and its very barrel heavy. I ordered th .50cal barrel. I might order the dvd Rick suggested, can't have to much knowledge!
thanks Johnnie

I ordered the DVD by mike miller, very good, some great tips. have all my parts except the barrel; the .50 cal was out of stock and were not sure when they would come in, so I changed to a .54 cal. still waiting for it to arrive. was able to go ahead and fit the butt cap. How is yours coming along?

Did you pin the trigger to the stock or did you pin it to the trigger bar? I'm trying to figure that out now!, The barrel inlet and the barrel pins on mine went in smoothly as did the lock. I've made several single trigger rifles but they were all binned to the trigger bar.

Attachments

• Chamber's trigger.jpg
    Chamber's trigger.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
Back