• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Kibler's Colonial Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlallijr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have not seen any threads on the colonial rifle yet so I want to share my experience with one. Prior to this kit I have built 3 rifles, the first was from a Track of the Wolf kit and 2 others on my own. To start, the kit came in a very nice box with very easy to understand directions. The brass furniture is soft and as nice as you can buy. The chambers lock included with the kit is of the best quality as well as the Rice barrel. No doubt the components are all top quality.
I used very little tools to assemble this kit. Jim has a nice list of tools you might expect to use assembling one of his kits listed right on his web site. Don’t expect to wear out or dull any tools on this build because the precision of the CNC inlets is amazing. The only wood I removed was a couple of tiny slithers getting the breech to fit, after that the chisel was useless. You will spend a little time with a file cleaning up the barrel and putting a draft on some other parts, all noted in the directions. I did need to use a three sided safe edge file to get the underlugs on the barrel, it took just a couple of swipes to get the underlugs to slide in. A very easy operation.

All the holes are already located on the stock so drilling the underlugs couldn’t be any easier as well as all the other drilling operations for the ramrod pipes, lock, trigger and trigger guard. The rest of the parts fit perfectly with no wood removal at all, trigger plate, ram rod pipes, side plate, lock, nose cap, butt plate and trigger guard. The patch box required a little fitting by just using a three sided file. The trigger will also require some careful filing, it took maybe 7 or 8 times of pulling the trigger in and out to get the right fit. And just like that you assembled your rifle. I think Jim and Katherine have done a great job on this kit.
mn22w.jpg
[/img]
mwd4ie.jpg
[/img]
30hts9u.jpg
[/img]
10dcmf5.jpg
[/img]

Good write up, I’ve been reading some other posts on this and all agree with your assessment. For me you came across very clear and to the point.

I agree with Dave Person that with very little effort you can assemble this kit and have a beautiful and historically accurate rifle with top of the line components at a very reasonable price.

Agreed, I have bought four and built three of their kits. Two of each type. They all went together fast and accurate. For the quality and design they are a bargain. The little extra they cost is well worth it in saved time and frustration. The parts fit is close to perfect. I can assemble one in a day. That frees up lots of time for carving, engraving and finishing.

Hi Tony!!
Thanks for posting this. I think folks on this site need to know that there are really good alternatives out there to the usual kits (TVM, TOW, and
Pecatonica). Unlike the others I mentioned, just assembling Jim's kit as is will result in a finely designed and historically correct gun. Kibler's gun will also teach you what good gun architecture is unlike most of the other kits.

dave

That is nice! I have the SMR in .45. It's beautiful and great to shoot. I've been following his updates, but didn't realize the guns were shipping yet. I'm very tempted to get a .58 smoothbore. Very tempted! I'll be ordering one soon.

Jason

I was tempted by the .58 smoothie but settled on a .58 with cherry wood stock. Still waiting for it...

Here is a few pictures of the kit finished. Turned out very nice.
2sblhfd.jpg
[/img]
2508bop.jpg
[/img]
25q9p5i.jpg
[/img]
kd1t1g.jpg
[/img]

Mine is done, awaiting the buttplate for it to ship but can't wait! Spoke to Katherine yesterday and their foundry hasn't poured yet putting them a little behind. Decided on a .54 smoothie. Glad to see your experience was good, you beat me to the thread!

Don't worry, I'll make you want one even more when my extra fancy maple shows up... :grin:

The above images are down right gorgeous, I myself am very impressed with Jims work and after speaking with him on the phone he truly cares about the craftsmanship that goes into his kits.

I went .54 smoothbore for versatility, talking with Jim it should be a "smooth shooter". :wink:

Also weight was an issue. Their .45 is a tad over 10lbs which isn't something I want to lug all day in the woods. Not that 10lbs is extremely heavy but traversing the hills in the Ohio valley do wear one out, so weight saved were it can be counts.

The barrel should shoot just fine. The guy behind the barrel may be an entirely different story.

Back