• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim's Peep Shoot 2015

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Jim held his Peep Shoot on Easter Sunday. He started this in 1998 when he took a break from clearing the Junipers for his cabin. He had some stale marshmallow "Peep" candy in the truck and he and friends used them for targets with their muzzleloaders. They found they could hit the ground under them and bounce them away. Here is Jim starting this year's shoot. This is the tie-breaker, shot at the start. Farthest bounce beats a tied score with a shorter bounce. This was my undoing...

We had eight shooters, three of them women and two left-handers. All shot flintlocks except me, I can't hit anything with them. I still have sand in my eyes from the big boys kicking sand in them.

Neill Fields with a .54 brass-barreled rifle he built. He has built more than 400 ML firearms by now.

We shot two sets of Peeps as regular targets.

Kyne shooting his .69 smoothbore (no rear sight) at the black steel buffalo, then the white turkey. He hit the Peeps, too.

Jean getting ready for the next target.

There were two banks of Peep targets and 16 steel clangers, total of 18. Four steel targets are over 100 yards across a canyon, and by then the wind was gusting to over 25 mph. Here is Terry shooting her left handed flintlock at the canyon targets.

Carole loading up her .40 I built for her, for the canyon shots. She hit them, too! By now she has lost her hat in the wind.

Pulling down on the canyon shot. She and her husband Carl are hunter safety instructors and good shots. There is a tall white "Bugler", a plate about 20 feet left and two "hostiles" hidden in the brush about 50 and 100 feet to the right at the same level as the Bugler's head.

Carney doing the canyon shots with a little right handed .40 he just traded into. He hit them, too, to tie me.

Here I am shooting the only caplock in the game, my copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken. I used 50 grains of Goex 3F until I got to the canyon, then used two measures to load 100 grains of Goex for those shots. I hit all the canyon shots and tied for first place with Carney with 15 of 18 hits, but lost to him on the bounced Peep. A good time was had by all.

Great pics. That looks like a great day of shooting. Makes me miss the high dessert, I need a vacation.
BTW I love your hat, What is it, Badger?

I got talked into buying it at our Knights of Columbus yard sale. Didn't want it, but Kathy said "You need this!". I love it. Someone told me it is raccoon.

I was given some old stale peeps one time to use in a league novelty shoot. I stuck them on wood slivers. Then the rain came, not a lot just enough. Those peeps turned into the stickiest mess you ever saw. I think I still have some of that stuck to me in places. Looks like you had more luck than I did. Great pictures. Too much fun.

Hello Herb,

i enjoy every year your report about eastern or christmas shoots you share us here with great pics and information. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Did there exist any pictures about the canyon targets ? and how far away is the distance for this shoots?
if you have time i would appreciates some info
thx from Germany

Klaus :wink:

Hello, Klaus! The targets in the Junipers are about 25 to 30 yards away, but the ones across the canyon are "more than 100 yards" according to Flint Lahman who helped place them. He has a cabin next to Jim's and is a farrier in Germany, Hannover if I remember correctly. No one has measured the distance, and I have never walked around to inspect the targets. Some are hard to see with binoculars. They are made of scrap steel, of no particular design. The Bugler is maybe six feet tall and 15 inches wide by my guess. Left of him is a "plate" or "tombstone", which I'd guess at about 15 inches square. There is a white "pig" just right of the Bugler, but it got left off the target score sheet so we didn't shoot it. It can be seen in photos in posts listed below. About 50 feet right of the Bugler is a "hostile" (probably supposed to be an enemy Indian) and I don't know his size, but maybe 18 inches wide and 24 inches tall. Fifty feet right of him is an enemy soldier, probably about the same size. All except the Bugler are neutral colored and hard to see.

Photos of these shoots are posted by Herb in General Muzzleloading "New Year's Shoot" on 1/03/12. All others are in this Photo board: Flint's Frolick 2012, 10/28/12; Thanksgiving Shoot, 11/26/12; 2013 Peep Shoot With My Bridger Hawken, 04/22/13; Jim's New Years Shoot, 1/04/14; An Easter Shoot in the Uintah Mountains, 05/20/14; and Flint's Frolick 2014, 10/25/14.

Great pictures and great shooting as always. And a fantastic hat! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Back