• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Journal of Historical Armsmaking Tech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorbritches

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Men I am looking for info on this series of books I have been told The Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology is "all that and a biscuit too". My wifey likes to buy me books but this one seems pricy, I guess what I need to know, is it worth it.

LUNA

I purchased the first four of the five Volume Set back in the 90's from Colonial Williamsburg when they were still available in their book stores and I paid the full bookstore price for them then, which was a bit pricey.

I found them to be well worth the money as I am particularly interested in 18th century Military Artificers/Armourers and what they were or may have been able to fix and repair. So information on how gunsmiths made the parts was especially interesting to me. I was also very interested in more information on "Lock Timing" of a flintlock lock and there is some information on that as well in some of the Journals.

I am not so sure I would buy one if the "going asking price" was $ 149.00 that I have seen advertised for the 1st Volume, alone. However, there is no other book that comes close to the details shown in that book on how they did it in the time period.

Gus

I purchased most of these from Dixie Gun Works back in the 1990's and they were about $15.00 as I recall. The best in my opinion is the volume on lock making, but I like them all. I am surprised there has not been enough interest to warrant re-printing them, or at least making them into a CD or an e-book.

Back