• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar pistol help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie_X

32 Cal.
Reaction score
One of the first black powder guns I ever got was a Kentucky-styled percussion pistol in .45, manufactured by the Jukar company. I knew going in that it wasn't a great deal, but it was $60 and I bought it for the purpose of refinishing since it needed some serious TLC.

The refinishing went well enough, but the hammer and the nipple are slightly off center. Rather than the center of the hammer making contact with the nipple it strikes on the edge and has been cutting a groove in the middle of the nipple.

I've considered doing some serious work on the wood to recess the entire barrel assembly back by 1/8th of an inch but first I'd like to know if there's anything else that can be done to correct this problem, or if it can be corrected at all.

It may not be necessary to take the whole lock back, just the upper side a small amount The hammer will tilt over even farther.

Is the hammer seated all the way in on the tumbler arm?

is the drum seated all the way in.

Worst case as I see it, drill and tap for a new drum and nipple. Depending on the year make of the drum it is an integral part of the breech and it would be better to cut it off flush and drill a new hole and tap leaving whatever is left in there.

I would but I don't know how to go about doing that without ruining it. I'm open to suggestions.

As I recall, those hammers are case hardened. It may be a bit tricky getting it bent. Not sure of heat requirements.

If it's hitting the side it's a lock inlet issue,
Not suprising with those old guns the wood changes from drying all those years.

You didn't say what side it's leaning.

And for the record trying to cold bend a CVA or Traditions hammer is an almost guarentee of breaking it, them babies will snap at just the wrong time,,everytime,,

The bend isn't to the left or the right but rather rearward.

I've got a hand torch. Could that be used to heat up the neck of the hammer so it can be bent?

I've got a hand torch. Could that be used to heat up the neck of the hammer so it can be bent?
Yup.
Remove the hammer, put the bottom of the hammer in a vise.
I use a small boxend wrench as the bending tool.

Latest posts

Back