• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jumping the string

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had a problem with a ducking deer from 10 feet out to 110 yards.

:idunno:

I do know from my observations that bucks tend to go farther with a mortal wound than do does. I always wait 20 minutes before leaving the place from where I shot to go and find the deer, and I mark the spot with a strip of orange so that I can better judge my distance to where the deer was hit by looking back, then start tracking [if needed] from there.

My rifle is sighted in with my load at 100 yards, so is a bit high at fifty, but not so high that I must adjust my "hold" on the front sight in relation to the deer. The only times that I have been surprised at an impact was when target shooting at unknown distances,.... where the difference for impact was the difference in score, but would not matter if one was shooting to down a deer..., when I've hit "high" it was because my estimation of the range was bad, and my hold on the target was not enough. It was my need to work at range determination and not the rifle nor the sights that needed work.

LD

Chambers Deluxe Siler, White Lightning liner.

All the lock internals were polished but I did take a little metal off the main spring to keep it off the barrel when I built the rifle.

My ignition varies from instant to a slight hang fire. The morning I knocked the deer down there was dense fog and 100% humidity. I had to reprime every 10 minutes or so. I had just reprimed when the buck showed up.

The rifle in question is going into the gun safe for a while. After realizing how many mistakes I made when I built it I am determined to give it an overhaul someday. It will be one of those things I do when I run out of other guns to build. Nice wood and good parts, it deserves a makeover some day. I have the skills now to make it into a pretty nice rifle.

Back