• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a quick thanks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OklahomaBill

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Long time lurker and I just wanted to say thanks for all the good information available on the Muzzleloading Forum. With much reading and forum searching I was able to make a knowledgable purchase of my first traditional Blackpowder rifle. I found a older CVA Mountain rifle in .58, no patch box, browned barrel, no made in Spain markings, nice maple stock. Clean bore and overall in very good shape. At some point in its life someone removed the rear sight and drilled and tapped a Williams peep. I would say that looking at the quality of the work it was done by a Gunsmith. I believed the Gun is factory made as the fit and finish are very good.

I am interested mostly in target shooting with the occassion deer hunt... I plan on shooting roundball with lower to medium powder charges.

Thanks again guys

OklahomaBill

OklahomaBill: Welcome to the Forum and to Black Powder shooting.

It sounds like you need to do something about getting a rear sight for your gun and unfortunately, I don't know of a place who sells them.
You could try Deer Creek. I know they have many parts for the newer CVA rifles. They might have something that would work on your older Mountain rifle.

I sure would like to be there when you finally get around to shooting your gun.
It is always neat to see the looks of doubt in the new shooters eyes as he carefully measures the first load of powder and dumps it down the bore.
The nervous look as he places the patch on the muzzle and the ball on the patch.
The hesitation as he rams the ball down the bore and his uncertainty as he places the cap on the nipple.

Then, with a look that says "is this thing actually going to work" on his face he takes aim, waits a few seconds and pulls the trigger.
BOOM

He looks back over his shoulder with a ear to ear s@%$ eating grin on his face and says "DAM! THAT WAS THE NEATEST THING I'VE DONE IN YEARS!!!!!"

Welcome OklahomaBill. Sounds like you made a good purchase. Don't sell that Williams peep short. You just might love it. With my old bifocal eyes I find a peep much easier to use than other sights. Looking forward to pictures of your first target.

Have fun with the new gun. I second the idea of keeping the peep sight. Getting old sucks, poor sight sucks even more. The peep sight helped me put fun back into shooting. :v

Thanks Gents. I will let you know how it all goes. I shoot a pretty fair amount of 10m airgun shooting so I have a good basis for aperture sights. Sight picture is nice with the peeps and I have been reading up on working up a target load... any suggestion on where you guys would start?

Anyway thanks again

OklahomaBill

Where I usually hang out.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back