• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a wabbit...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000001446.png

Wow, those obviously dwarf all our American species.

Do they require tenderizing via parboiling, pressure cooking, etc? Also is it a mild, or gamier fare?

I haven't tried the traditional hasenpfeffer or jugged hare. Down South here we fry everything LOL.

Stewing jugged hare in it's blood sorta turns me off, I dunno... I'll try anything once. Maybe.

I haven't tried the traditional hasenpfeffer or jugged hare. Down South here we fry everything LOL.

Stewing jugged hare in it's blood sorta turns me off, I dunno... I'll try anything once. Maybe.
I also chop, fry and then stew rabbits and hare. Simple is best.
Not to gamey at all.
The secret with rabbits is removing the scent glands in the hams either side of the tail bone.

The largest wild rabbit I ever saw was a Canecutter, Sylvilagus aquaticus [LINK], that my uncle shot. In reality it was probably less than 6 pounds, but we marveled at it's size, being used to seeing mostly Cottontails. In my travels since then I have seen very tall and leggy Jackrabbits from a distance in the Western states, but they seem wiry and thin, so I doubt they weigh more - others chime in it I'm wrong here. Like I said earlier, those big 10-12 pound Brown Hares just DWARF any rabbit we see on our side of the pond. Would be fun to stalk them and turn them into table fare.

Back