• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just an observation about muzzle loading, in general

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, HD, let's say you're right: the point I made was bad.

Here's another: Any really good sport can easily afford letting it's participants poke some fun at themselves as a group. If it doesn't, it takes itself far too seriously to call itself a sport. Even golfers poke fun at themselves.

Wouldn't you agree that a group of people busy agreeing about what a fine group they are not only attracts such treatment, but deserves it?
Bob

From what I've observed at our club the poking of fun off and on the range, even mid competition, is an integral part of the attraction of the BP fraternity. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.....
On the other hand when advice is needed everyone's willing to stop and help. The unspoken certainty that we all understand is, ask and ye shall receive, we know we're good blokes by our actions, not by our words.
I see it as an old world decency towards each other. Somthing we dont see enough of these days.
Smokey.

you want to see brotherhood in action, let a bp shooter have a problem on the firing line. next thing you see is 20 people all trying to help. tools come flying as fast as advice. i think the mentality and level of ethics shown by MOST bp shooters extends into everyday life. basically good people. i guess thats the same as smokey in oz expressed.

walruskid1 said:
you want to see brotherhood in action, let a bp shooter have a problem on the firing line. next thing you see is 20 people all trying to help. tools come flying as fast as advice. i think the mentality and level of ethics shown by MOST bp shooters extends into everyday life. basically good people. i guess thats the same as smokey in oz expressed.

Exactly what I was trying to say :applause:

Well said by both you and Smokey :applause:

HD

Part of this is due to our being participants in what a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, regard as a somewhat exotic or even odd sport. We have that strangeness in common, if nothing else.

On a more serious note -- a large part of what most of us are doing is based on a desire to connect with the history associated with the type of guns we shoot. Not to say that everyone gets involved in reenactment or trekking or what-have-you, but the idea of Daniel Boone, Jim Bridger, David Crockett, etc is generally somewhere in the backs of our minds when we take our longrifles or Hawkens (however historically incorrect in the eyes of the purists -- sorry, couldn't resist a little jab there) out to the range, the rendezvous, or the woods. And, through even casual acquaintance with the historical times and people our guns connect us to, we can't help but pick up on the idea that, once upon a time, you offered help when it was called for. The offer might well be refused, but you offered. It's a trait that to a large degree is missing in our society today, this willingness to offer help and lend a hand ("ain't my job -- ain't my problem -- don't get paid to do that -- don't want to get involved -- just plain don't care...."), and to some extent a lot of us are acting on a more-or-less conscious decision to be a little more like people used to be, and a little better than the world around us. Plus, and probably more important, we're doing this to have fun, and for most of us fun involves including other people.

I like the black powder shooters I associate with precisely because they quite often talk instead of shoot. I grew up in an environment where, when you were at the range, talking was a strictly controlled activity, to be carried on away from and either before or after the business of the day, which was SHOOTING. Intensely, fanatically, spotting-scope-and-calipers-to-measure-groups-always-at-hand, do-not-bother-me, SHOOTING. Yeah, in case you were wondering, it was a kick in the butt for a kid. My dad avoided those people in both his shooting and fishing circles (and actually lost a few friends) once it became obvious that this was serious business and his kids weren't welcome. For that I've always been grateful, and to this day I'm just as happy to be talking -- and helping -- particularly if there are kids involved -- as I am to actually be shooting.

Smokey in Oz said:
From what I've observed at our club the poking of fun off and on the range, even mid competition, is an integral part of the attraction of the BP fraternity. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.....
On the other hand when advice is needed everyone's willing to stop and help. The unspoken certainty that we all understand is, ask and ye shall receive, we know we're good blokes by our actions, not by our words.
I see it as an old world decency towards each other. Somthing we dont see enough of these days.
Smokey.
Interesting point you made about your club, we have a unwritten rule at our club, we you come through the gates, you leave behind your profession. Meaning we dont care whether a member is a doctor, lawyer or a garbage man, we are all shooters having a good time. Sharing knowledge, making friends etc. I sometimes go down the the range and dont even shoot, as I enjoy the company of the people it attracts. I have witnessed amazing offers of generosity at our club that quite frankly you wouldnt normally see in day to day life, I have seen where a member is ill and people go around to their place and help do a little lawn mowing, getting them a load of wood in etc.
There is a lot to be said for the shooting community, and a lot that every day people could learn from.

No offense taken, short start. I'm just saying that most of the ML forums concern shooting and don't require a degree in advanced physics to follow their threads. On the airgun and rimfire venues it sounds as if you need to bring a trailer full of scientific measuring equipment and sit down for a day or two maximizing your gun's potential before you can even begin shooting. It's kind of like when I took my kids to the local creek yesterday to fish for bluegills and punkin seeds. We had three push button spincast rigs, cheeseballs and simple hooks. No Spyderwire, anti-backlash baitcasters, fish finder sonar or this year's fashion lures. Had a boat load of fun, though! Muzzle loading seems to incorporate the same, easy mindset.

I can think of only one other "gun forum" that behaves the way it (generally) is here... and that's Paco Kelly's Leverguns forum.

(Hey there were Henery Levers beside those caplocks & C&B pistols in the unCivilWar...) :v

There are Purists there, as here, but in general it's all about practical shooting and comraderie.

As long as we take our PC/technical pursuits in fun and not fanaticisim, a good time will be had by all. :thumbsup:

Back