• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just got a pedersoli side by side 12 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formernuke

32 Cal
Reaction score
Ordered it and should arrive today. I downloaded the manual and it doesn't say what size percussion cap to use.

Which cap have you guys found works the best for these?

Any tips for shooting them?

Ordered it and should arrive today. I downloaded the manual and it doesn't say what size percussion cap to use.

Which cap have you guys found works the best for these?

Any tips for shooting them?
The Pedersoli 12 gauge double I currently use is over 45 years old, so possibly what follows won’t apply, but I use #11 caps on nipples made out of hardened 416 stainless steel from TOW. My Pedersoli has heavier lock springs and it crushes Hot-Shot Nipples after a few shots.

The Pedersoli 12 gauge double I currently use is over 45 years old, so possibly what follows won’t apply, but I use #11 caps on nipples made out of hardened 416 stainless steel from TOW. My Pedersoli has heavier lock springs and it crushes Hot-Shot Nipples after a few shots.

Mine has the number 686, so probably about the same age.

What loads have you found works best in it? I'm using 2f powder.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

2f is fine.

What are you hunting?

What have you got for it so far?

Here's the charts I have.

Is popular to use less powder than the chart recommends. 10 to 20 grains less..

a "square load" is popular also and that's basically the chart.

Attachments

• 17113775709886548852452433889232.png
    17113775709886548852452433889232.png
    640.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211223-205314.png
    Screenshot_20211223-205314.png
    668 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211223-174541.png
    Screenshot_20211223-174541.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211223-174013.png
    Screenshot_20211223-174013.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
Mine has the number 686, so probably about the same age.

What loads have you found works best in it? I'm using 2f powder.
Not sure of the exact serial number of mine (too many guns to consider committing all to memory), but pretty sure without checking it begins with a 5 and has three digits.

What loads work best? More than I can count. This past weekend shot a round of skeet with mine. Used a Lee measuring scoop, 2.2CC to be exact, for a so called square load. Two scoops of 3F Swiss (maybe 70 grains) and two scoops of 7-1/2 shot, maybe 440 grains, with a tight fitting (11 gauge) card between the powder and shot, and one over the shot.

A good way to start is to use the same volume of powder and shot, aka the square load.

As a reference, I’ve tried the Skychief load and it works, but as far as actual patterns, the two card loading method I mentioned above seems to work as well, if not a tad better, though I haven’t done any scientific testing to compare. I just draw a vertical and horizontal line on piece paper with a circle around the intersection point of the two lines (your choice of circle size) and count the hits in each of the four quadrants.

Best way to figure out what load(s) work best in your particular gun is to go out and shoot it. Unless you are looking for just one load, keep notes and pay attention to them. Not rocket science.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

2f is fine.

What are you hunting?

What have you got for it so far?

Here's the charts I have.

Is popular to use less powder than the chart recommends. 10 to 20 grains less..

a "square load" is popular also and that's basically the chart.

Probably pheasant duck and clay pigeons.

Pheasant..

I don't know much on duck. I'm just ok at skeet. Havnt tried trap..

Pheasant. I been crippling some birds for the dog and she loves that. I kinda like the load. It's doesn't bang up the birds too bad.

" Pedersoli 10ga "
My load changed a little though. And I havnt tried it on Pheasant yet.
Currently.. 75grn 3f .. 1.5oz #5 lead.

I was using.. 75grns 2f .. 1.5oz #6.

I been using wool fiber wads with overshot cards.. just because I bought them and they do OK.
1 os cards 1 wool fiber over powder
1 os card over the shot

And

Just Overshot cards.... Britsmoothy
3 os cards over powder.
1 os card overshot.

Back