• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just graduated from "Them what will, to them what have"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skierman0

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As it says in the title, I have graduated! It seemed like such a momentous occasion (if only in my own mind). I was having a nice little morning shoot at the best little range in the canyon when I became only slightly distracted. I know that most of you could just fill in the story from here, but I'm having such fun recounting it that I'll just continue. As I was saying...distracted; I had just popped off a shot and reloaded. I placed my cap on "Ol' Reliable" (a Lyman .54), took careful aim squoze the trigger and pop....replaced the cap, repeated and pop! No boom :doh: . This was new territory for me in several years of shooting my front stuffer. When I sent the range rod down the bore it became readily obvious that I forgot to precede the ball with powder. Thanks to many years of learning from all of you on this forum, it was a simple matter of feeding a few grains of powder into the patent breech through the clean out screw in the snail, cap, pop and silly mistake rectified. I don't want to repeat this error again, but it does feel like somewhat of a graduation of sorts.

Ok, I will ask. Where is the best range in the valley? Dry ball, with muzzle loader? Never thought that could happen! Only those that don't shoot, don't load with out powder!

Michael

East of Richmond, Utah in the mouth of a canyon whose name I do not recall. Just a rough little un-staffed range, but with a good layout. The only thing I would improve is the cleanliness. Folks seem to pack it in, but neglect to pack it out. :td:

That irritates me here to. Have a couple free ranges and people trash them. Being its California one day they will wonder why they are closed. Giving ammo to those that don't like us shooting....what a mistake.

I have dry balled twice on the same morning. Granted it was when I first started shooting front stuffers. I was so preoccupied with making sure I lubed the patch I forgot to add powder,(doesn't help I'm 64). We have lost five places to shoot because of people trashing the range. Here in Az we have competition with the undocumented people trashing at there pickup points. Backpacks, clothing, extra seats out of stolen vans. Seams it never ends.

We have a place like that here. One of the few places around you can just go out and shoot. Burned out cars and you name it, if you can shoot it, it ended up there. I just figure it's only a matter of time. They even placed signs out there but I think that is just the precursor to shutting it down.

Many of the favorite "pits" we used to shoot at are now closed and clearly firmly posted. The remaining two (I know of) are crowded and unsafe. Thats why I shoots in de woods where I has a safe backstop and no-one around :)

You might think that here in Texas we would have lots of places to go shooting for free. 'Taint so. Lots of land but it is all privately owned. The few parcels of public land are such things as city parks, state parks, Corps of Engineers parks, etc. The rest of the land is privately owned. Most of it is ranch land with livestock on it. The ranchers don't want anyone shooting around their livestock. Can't blame them. I have to drive about 30 minutes to get to a place to shoot and it costs $16 to shoot there. That's the cheapest place around. I lived in Indiana for 11 years and there was plenty of free places to shoot and lots of muzzleloading clubs. The closest muzzleloading club to where I live is an hour and a half drive away. I envy those of you who have a nice canyon to shoot in or a nice place in the woods where you can go to shoot. You lucky rascals!! :bow:

That Is what I like about the Patent Breach. Always a nice dry place to put In some Powder where the Powder should have been in the first place !!!!

One of the last Palma matches I shot was a beautiful, safe, and challenging range just east of Mineral Wells on an old army base called Ft. Wolters. The next year it was closed by "them"... an army base 1000 yard and closer range with a hill for the a back stop, nice butts, a great place. A corridor of trees for the first 600 yards and open to the E-W winds for the last 400. Challenging and closed. Never got a reason for the closure.

Been there, done that. On the one hand, it made me kind of stupid. On the other hand, there is something cool about a half inch ball flying out of the barrel at the speed of a BB from an air rifle. :hmm: With a patent breech, it's really no big deal. I suppose it would suck if you were in a match, but I don't shoot in matches, so it's just kind of a waste of a cap and ball.

I did it three times on one long afternoon. Bought a CO2 un loader that night!

Geo. T.

Pay someone to shoot!!! Wow, glad I live where I do; my range is right out my front (or back) door.

I feel a bit guilty after reading these posts. In western Montana most of our land is public. But I have set up a range by my cabin. I use the same ground I used to use for a playground when my kids were younger. As far as I know it is the only rifle range/playground combination around. No kids anymore, just shooters.

Latest posts

Back