• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just now getting back into traditional muzzleloading, advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is absolutely no need to harden the Lyman great Plains bullet for pigs. It will probably go straight through as is.

The idea behind a 58 is so that you can shoot roundball. That big ball will make a big hole which is what big piggies need. There's so much fat and hide and gristle that without a big hole they tend to leave poor blood trails as the wound seals up.

I have seen healthy boars opened up to find a healed arrow shaft through the middle of one lung. There's also a risk, especially in tight brush that they might have a good go at you. A truly big boar unleashing it's anger is a sight to behold, especially when you're five yards away holding the bow that just flung that pointy stick into him.

Thank you men, these are all the questions i was thinking in my head. it all makes sense. bowhunting i use around a 550 grain arrow with a good sharp 2 blade head and have no problem passing through any size hog. its all put into perspective now i appreciate it.

You might consider a Lyman/Ivestarms/Cabelas in 58 1-48. They shoot RB good and a 525gr Hornady GP bullets whoops them and your shoulder.

The barrels are 15/16" so a 58 is a light little gun with a wallop.

Back