• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just one moment of weakness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
..........and I popped for an ML bear tag from the over the counter with caps list for the NW part of the state (Colorado).

Was around bears most of my life growing up but never hunted them. Thought of them as pests!

The area I plan to hunt was loaded with bears in the first week of October two years ago. Saw more bears than elk during elk hunt. :shocked2: Had one tear into a cooler and had to throw sticks and rocks at another when it seemed to be headed for camp where a lonesome dog was whining.

It's all about the serviceberries in this spot. Hoping for a good crop.

Sweet!!! Now give us some more details like what you plan on hunting with, will you be still hunting? (Most Bear hunting in Michigan is bait or dogs)PRB, or Mini Ball, Plains bullet? I look forward to reading more as this progresses for you :grin:

I look forward to reading more as this progresses for you

Ok, here's the plan so far. I am very familiar with a location within my license area that is heavy with serviceberrys (I grew up in the UP and we called them sugar plums up there). Colorado bears start a major feeding binge around the end of August and keep it up until denning time. They migrate long distances to get to berries, chocke cherries, scrup oak acorns and serviceberries are three of the main staples. If those crops fail it can be a tough year for bears. Many go to town and get in trouble! :shocked2:

So, first off, have not been into the location yet this year and don't know how the berry crops are looking. Hopefully the crop will be good. My strategy will be to get in a position to intercept bears as they travel to, from and through these food sources. Baiting is not allowed in CO so it's pretty much limited to spot and stalk, sit and wait or call. I'll be using a combo of sit and wait and spot and stalk.

Rifle will be a .54 loaded with round ball. Pretty much the same thing I use for deer and elk. Right now I'm working on a GPR kit that I bought cheap from a guy who buggered it up. If that is done on time I'll use it. If not it will be my old stand by GPR that I've had for near twenty years. It's also .54 with a drop in gm barrel. Am also working on a .54 flinter, but that will not be ready this fall.

The wife is taking a two week vacation tour with a daughter on Sept 8th, so I'll be running wild in the mountains for a spell. Also hold an archery deer tag so will squeeze a bit of that in, but from Sep 10th to the 19th it'll be mainly about bears!

More to follow as things develop.

I'm resolving to take more pics this year. Most years it's one or two the camp, etc. Gonna take a bunch this year.

Back