• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just started a "new one".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
After completing a LHed Isaac Haines w/ a "B" weight X 44" Rice bbl for a customer, just started a RHed spec Isaac Haines using exactly the same components, except for the lock and both were from blanks.

The "new one" has a Chambers Dale Johnson Flintlock and it contributes to the "early feel" much better than the LHed large Siler which was the only LHed choice.....IMO.

As this LR progresses, and I've built a few, I think of Mike Brooks and the speed w/ the attendant quality w/ which he builds his MLers, and try as I may, I just can't duplicate his "way w/ LRs". Just inletted the entry pipe and realized that I probably spent double the hours that Mike would have spent. My only excuse..."I don't do this for a living".

Mike Brooks is possibly one of the few contemporary builders who could have survived the competition "in the early days" and produced LRs that today would be considered "works of art".

Why this tribute to Mike Brooks? Perhaps as I build my own, I realize my short comings vs Mike Brooks' talent and although I can rationalize my lesser talent, very few are as gifted as this builder. I'm just amazed at this man's work......Fred

I have to agree with you, Fred. I'm not a big fan of a lot of old guns or many of the new ones but his stuff knocks me out. I'm attracted to fowling guns and he does them best. Looking at his guns makes me wanna do better while knowing I'll never be on that level. My level is on a slant, I bet.
Yer pal, Keb

Same here.......love the man's work! Also, Mike is a nice guy as I have PM'd him on several occassions with questions and always got a response, advice, or what ever I needed. Reading his tutorial makes it all look so easy! :hatsoff:

Would love to see your Haines in process....you make some fine rifles your ownself! :hatsoff:

Would that DJ lock be way out of place on a BC rifle? Or maybe a rifle with some BC traits, I should say. Wanting to use an early style lock and it's between the DJ or the Early Germanic...any suggestions? :wink:

...any suggestions?
I got one. Don't use obscure abbreviations. The abbreviations you used are not known by all who are reading this, including me.
DJ = Don Johnson? disc jockey?
BC = Birchwood Casey? Before Christ?

Looking forward to seeing it when finished or in progress. As far as Mike goes, the man has helped me lots in the few guns I have built. I've emailed him several times with what Im sure are stupid questions to a pro like him but he replyed very fast an his helped me bunches. I would love to have one of his guns an hope to one day :thumbsup:

If by BC you mean Bucks County, I'd not use the Dale Johnson or Germanic style lock...way too early.Existing BCs were mainly made between 1790 to 1820 and my preference would be the large Siler or the Chambers Late Ketland. Of the 2, I think the Late Ketland has a plate shape like the Shulers and the Siler like the Verners and a few other BC builders. Just my opinion for what it's worth....Fred

Fred
I don't mean to disagree with you but from what I see most of the locks on Bucks County guns are Germanic rather than English.I agree with the time peroid that you listed for most recognized Bucks style guuns but the large siler is 1770-1790 which is early for the dates you mentioned,while the Dale Johnson is more Golden Age.I would have no problem useing a Dale Johnson on a Bucks rifle or a siler for that matter.
This is a Bucks Gun I made with a slightly modified Dale Johnson lock.

Mitch
Marksfinal2004.jpg

BucksFinal1031.jpg

Hi....the Bucks County LRs I have seen don't have a lockplate w/ very much curve to the underside. You've modified your Dale Johnson to eliminate some of this curve and also reshaped the lock tail to coinside w/ some BC LRs. The Late Ketland has a very similar plate shape to some Shulers, although the pan is definitely English. Nice Bucks County LR. Below are my versions of Bucks County LRs. Your BC is quite beautiful...Fred

BC46-2-LOCK.jpg

Bucks46Lock.jpg

BucksCo3TOW6.jpg

Forgot the "early" in referring to a Germanic lock. The early Germanic locks have too much curvature on the bottom of the lockplate for use on a Bucks County. The Siler is right on for a BC, but the Dale Johnson has a little too much curvature for a BC. Bucks County LRs use locks w/ a minimum amount of curve or none at all on the plate underside..Fred

Nice rifles Fred.Just my thoughts not saying I'm right.I have no trouble with the siler lock but the rounded pan on the English lock just doesn't work for me on a Bucks gun.I'm not saying they were never used just that most locks I've seen on Bucks guns were German and have Oct. pans.As far as the curve on the Dale Johnson lock.I dont see it as a problem.If you look at the Bucks guns in RCA as opposed to your very nice rifles you will notice that the tail of the lock almost always is below the center line of the wrist where as your locks seem to be dead center of the wrist.The curve in the Johnson lock helps make this possible when you you have a lot of curve in the wrist like a Bucks gun.Just my 2 cents :grin:

Mitch

Thanks for the info...my BCs are "my versions" but do resemble BC LRs. Just can't get myself to "copy" originls, but certainly do like yours.....Fred

Latest posts

Back