• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping Minie in Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was said here 100 times that BP fouling mixed with liquid dinosaur makes it a lot harder to get rid of. why isnt axle grease used for patches?
I can't answer that. I just know what works for me.
Btw, I'm not sure modern grease is from dinosaurs.
But a favorite mix for the guys who know their stuff at NSSA is a mix of mobile one and beeswax, iirc.

But a favorite mix for the guys who know their stuff at NSSA is a mix of mobile one and beeswax, iirc.
I just said liquid dinosaur as a joke. 35 years ago Russians were the first to drill down over a mile and found oil. there aint no dinosaurs down there. the earths crust produces oil which makes it a renewable energy source but dont tell the greenies that

Mobil One is a synthetic based lubricant. Has some proprietary additives but it's not a petroleum base oil (NO liquid dinosaurs)

I just said liquid dinosaur as a joke. 35 years ago Russians were the first to drill down over a mile and found oil. there aint no dinosaurs down there. the earths crust produces oil which makes it a renewable energy source but dont tell the greenies that
I know what you meant. I'm saying I don't think the grease we get for the farm isn't petroleum, and hasn't been for a while.
Dad used to buy the real old, stiff as a board heavy grease for his horse drawn wagon, but usually found out at old garages.
I'm sure THAT stuff would gum up any barrel you ran it down.
I'm sitting in ATL waiting on a flight, but I'll look for my groups with minies.
The proof is in the pudding.

Here's a target of my .54 GM Leman (off a bench) using 100gr FF under a .54 cal Minie Bullet. I use these all the time for deer hunting. It does short work on a whitetail. It also has a stout recoil so make sure you are shouldering the rifle properly.

To keep the Minie in the barrel I use a Lee Universal Expanding Die and adjust the die so that it will flair the base of the Minie enough to "stick" in the bore upon loading.

I also lube the Minie with nothing else but SPG bullet lube.

I've loaded these Minies (Post base expansion) and have "banged" the muzzle off a well padded leather covered 2X8 and the Minie stay's where I put it. In addition, once the barrel is fouled the expanded base Minie need a good push to get it down the barrel....so it stays where I seat it.

I hope this helps.

M5FJlNRl.jpg

Latest posts

Back