• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

keeping my 61 Springfield shiney

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Pugh

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Y'all, I need help keeping my 61 Springfield shiney. I use a fine steel wool to take the rust off when I am at a reenactment and works OK, but I wanted to see if there is an easier or better way of keeping the rust off?
Yellowhammer :hatsoff:

Personally, I like the way they look when they "age" a bit. Kind of like they're being used, not kept locked up like a "safe queen". Other then just general cleaning I'd not worry about keeping it too shiney, "back in the day" they weren't kept perfect so if you want it to look authentic let it age a bit. JMHO. :hmm:

Read somewhere that a pinch of finely ground brick dust in light oil was used as a scouring powder(don't remember where).

Haven't tried it myself as all mine are blued....

For what it's worth....

Legion

Personally, I like to keep mine as bright and shiny as a new pin. I see way too many rusty,dirty, neglected rifles at reenactments. The original soldiers spent much well-documented time cleaning their rifles for inspections. I try to carry myself as a soldier of that time, and I keep my rifle and my gear as clean and functional as possible.

I don't have a Springfield but I do have a Charleville that I keep military bright. Our commander told us about the brick dust and oil for keeping them bright but not chrome shiny. Most of the time I use the green scoth-brite pads and get the same results.

Thanks for the replies, I think I will try the brick dust and oil. In addition I am going to get a canvas gun case to put it in while in camp. It gets rusty over night with the dew settling on it. :v
Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer I don't know about the 61 but You might also just clean the barrel of all rust and oil. Heat it enough to melt paraffin or clear uncolored candle wax and melt this into the hot metal. You should now have the barrel sealed and little chance for any moisture or rust to start. I did this to a gun 35 yeas ago and it hasn't shown any rust.
This should keep it shiney with just a oily wipe as needed.
Fox :thumbsup:

You might try CorrosionX or RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). The CorrosionX is an oil and the thinnest of films is all that's needed, but RIG is pretty hard to beat too. I can't think of anything that would protect bare metal better and still be attractive.

Be sure to try the brick dust & oil mix on a hidden portion of the barrel first.
Colonial bricks were stacked outdoors & then fired by wood. Modern bricks are baked in a kiln & are harder than the wood fired brick. Dust from modern bricks may be more abrasive than you want.

I did War Between The States for over 10 years. The whole time I carried the same Enfield. When I got home from every event I took the three bands off and removed the barrel. After a good cleaning and drying I polished the steel parts with a green scotchbright pad then wiped all metal surfaces with some Tri-flo on a cloth. Never had any rust. The green pads will not polish to a bright finish like new chrome, but will give a satin appearence.

Back