• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping powder dry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing that seals a #11 nipple if there's no cap on it, is a simple 1/8" rubber "end plug" that you can buy packs of at automotive parts stores...usually used to seal off the end of an unused tube coming out of a carb, etc...they make a nice snug fit...come several in a blisterpac dirt cheap.

Ditto! I don't use them while actually hunting but when the cap is removed as in camp or in a vehicle I put one over the nipple to keep the powder moisture content stable. They are also great for cleaning. Just put one over the cap, fill the barrel with water and let it set for 15 or 20 minutes.

If I ever do get worried about moisture on my caps while hunting, these doo dads would be my solution too.

Kerry said:
I plan on deer hunting with my 50 cal Renegade this season. What is the best way to keep the powder dry in rain or smowy weather? Thank you,

Kerry

I use Saran wrap a least around twice around the percussion cap and lock area (not over the hammer). I also used it on the muzzle held in place by tape.

Never had a misfire doing it. I do try to shield the gun from the elements when in a stand or walking as well.

:v

Back