• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentuckian Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee Zonie, you mean you can get close to the paper. I have a 50 cal pedersolie scout flint that I bought from a young buckskinner at a rondy, at 50 myards I cannot hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood, put a maxie or sabot in it and it shoots decent (deer killin auccracy). All I could figure is that the boy bought the gun with that newfangled 1 in 28 twist , I wish he would have told me. I really prefer to shoot round ball. Hate to sell to anybody as it is and so far havent brought my self to rebarreling it. Right now it just sits in the closet and I gripe and groan about it ever so often (like now) yours hounddog

According to Dixie Gunworks 2011 catalog the .50 caliber Pedersoli Scout has a 1:32" twist and the rifling grooves are .006 deep (6 grooves, .500 bore, .512 groove diameter).

This is a fairly fast twist that is made for shooting the slugs you mentioned but I'm guessing that you should be able to get some good groups if the patch/ball combination is tight and the powder load is kept to under 65-70 grains.

By "tight" I'm talking something like a .495 dia ball with a .018 thick patch.
By the way, my Dixie catalog seems to think these rifles are worth $650.00.

If you think that a fast twist barrel won't shoot RB well, you are wrong. Consider how much faster the ROT of a pistol or revolver barrel has, and they shoot RBs just fine!

The secret- if its really one-- to getting good accuracy with RBS in a 1:32 ROT barrel( 1 full turn in 32 inches)with shallow rifling, is to use a larger ball diameter- close to bore diameter, and a thinner patch. use the Groove depth( .006") as an indicator of what thickness patch you need. Since Cotton patches will compress almost 50%, you want no less than a .010" thick cotton patch( pillow ticking), or up to .015" thick, if it will fit in the barrel, using a .495" cal. ball( not a .490" caliber ball). Some pillow ticking comes in .012" thickness and might be perfect for that gun. You want to use as thick a fabric for your patches, so that the fabric can hold as much grease as possible. The grease prevents the patch from burning( firewall), and softens the BP residue in the barrel after the shot is fired, leaving the barrel easier to clean.

Then begin working up target loads at 50 yds( start at 25 yds to make sure the sights put the shots on the paper, before moving to the 50 yd. line) starting with 40 grains of FFFg powder( Goex), or 45 grains of FFg powder. Work up in 5 grain increments until the groups begin to shrink noticeably.

You should find a good, accurate load with about 55 grains of FFg or 50 grains of FFFg powder, or less. Plinking loads can be as light as 30 grains, to save money. Plinking loads are used for informal target shooting where the targets are either under 25 yds and small, or are larger targets out to 50 yds.

Save the conicals for hunting, as that is what the gun is designed to use for that purpose.

Fellas, I am glad that you all have had some good luck with those fast twist bbls. I am going to try those ideas out. Zonie you are right pedersolie scout are now in the 650 range. When I got this one 3 years ago they were about 500 range I gave 300 for the little gun in mint shape if that tells you anything. I was not exagerating at all I literally missed ( completely) a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 50 yds, have shot several ball through I cant even tell where it is hitting and you gotta know that to correct the problem. I do appreciate the info and encouragement will keep trying. I would rebarrel it but cant make up my mind what cal I want Is 13/16 bbl. Have any of you fellas tried to find bbls for sale (manufactures) they are not many available, and what you do find are very pricy. Iwill get it figured out someday one way or another hounddog

My first rifle was a .45 Japanese Kentucky. The rifling had six lands only about one millimeter wide. After lapping it was a head hunter with a tight patch. Maybe slicking up your barrel might help?
On the other hand, you could get Bobby Hoyt to rebore it and have the only .47 in the neighborhood.

Goodcheer, the reboring may be a little risky, the bbl is 13/16 and is 50 cal, there just isnt a lot of metal left for a safe rebore. Pedersolie makes the only 13/16 50 cal I know of the biggest you can get in a 13/16 replacement bbl is 45 cal. If they are out there any bigger I havent been able to find them. Am thinking of maby rebarring in either 32 or 40 cal. I have 50 cals running out my ears but no 32 or 40 cal rifle.(2 36 s though). I am not a particular fan of either cal and cant make up my mind which is better. 32 is dab too small and 40 is a dab too big, I guess thats why I have 2 36 rifles , got plenty of 45 s also am kinf of limited with that 13/16 bbl chnl in what to rebarrel in yours hounddog

I had a pair of those one in flint one in caplock the capper was great the flint a nightmare with poor lock geometry and metalurgy I shot a larger ball they say .44 cal but I know I used a .440 ball and 12 or 15 thous. patch my capper was very acccurate with around 55 gr. of 3f, higher loads did not do so well, may have been the rifleing type/twist these are a nice slender good feeling gun for a production modle I think once you get to know it you will be good friends.

I bought a used Kentuckian barrel in .45 cal (marked on barrel) with all the same markings described by the poster. I built a longrifle around it. Very accurate barrel, even though it was well used. Mine is 1:48 twist 13/16", flintlock. I shoot 55 grn. 3f Goex with .440 ball and pillowticking patch. I have heard of 3 different brands using the "Kentuckian" name on the barrel;Euroarms,Armisport and a short-lived American import name which currently escapes me. The Euroarms kentuckian had both "Jager" (Jaeger) and "Kentuckian" on the barrel. I defarbed mine for the build.

Hi All,
Back from the weekend away working on the Kentuckian,
I managed to put over 100 balls through the barrel, and yes Ghettogun, this must be of a similar make, because it is a real "Straight-Shooter"
After I settled in and got into some sort of routine, loading cleaning, and sorting out the balls I had molded,(some were a bit rough), things started to fall into place, and it was shooting close groups at 50 and 75 yds, with alarming regularity.
I am more than impressed, I was shooting at a sheet of plasterboard (Gyprock) about 12 inches square, at 50 then 75 yards as I got more confident, at first using a rest,(back of a chair,with a pillow on it) then some freehand.
off the rest I could get 3 out of 4 shots inside 3 inches at 50 yds, and about 3 1/2 to 4 inch groups every time at 75 yds, (sometimes a tad better)...using 35gns of FFF and a .440 PRB with borebutter as lube, and patching the bore after every 5 shots,
I have nothing to use as a guide, but this seems fairly accurate to me, I don`t think my eyes could shoot any better.
This gun has fixed sights, and as I mentioned earlier the quality of my casting leaves a lot to be desired, as it was the first time I have cast balls. I`ve only ever made sinkers, and they are not that critical in appearance or ballistics!
So I think with a little bit of tweaking, a new nipple, and a bit more experimenting with patch size,lube, and of course more attention to the casting process, I could have a half reasonable shooter, for small game.
What sort of grouping should I expect? 2inches at 50 Yds? I`ve got no idea...I was just pleased with the regularity.
I did experience some trouble with the nipple clogging, and had quite a few misfires, where the cap worked but no "BANG", but these were easily fixed with a quick run through with the nipple cleaning pick.
so it was all good.
Thanks for all those that answered my post, it helped me have a great weekend, a lot more confident, and a bit more knowledgeable.
Cheers,
Roger

Hi
I live about one hour south of you and I have the same rifle in flint... it is made by euroarms and it is a 1 in 48 twist and if you slug the bore you will find it is 45 cal not 44 as stamped on the barrel...

I have found that mine likes 55 g of ppp wano with a 445 round ball with 15# patch really great rifle just got poor sights... you can expect 2 inch groups at 50 yards ....without too much trouble
I shoot at taree/ wingham SSAA we have about 10 to 15 shooters the 4th sunday each month
regards Robyn

Latest posts

Back