• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky cleaning tube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slake

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what topic to use for this thread,I played around a wee bit with the search button.
I'm looking for advice or tricks on how best to use the cleaning tube for my Kentucky Rifle. I have the tube that screws into the nipple hole, but I'm having trouble learning the finese of what sort of bucket to use.

Most of my other rifles I take apart and put the end of the barrel in a bucket of soapy water and swab away. This cleaning tube is beating me up, floppin out of the water draining the contents on my foot {once} and oh yeah I was using cold water. The hose {clear neopreme} I'm using is kinda short, it's only about a foot. I'm pouring some soapy water into the muzzle with a film canister and then beginning my swabbin. What sort of bottle or pail do y'all use?

Most hardware stores have reels of different size clear plastic tubing...a 2-3 foot piece would be more user friendly...then use some fine wire or string and fasten something like a very large, heavy bolt near the end of the tubing in the bucket to hold the tubing in place so it doesn't flop around

When I use them I cut a tight hole in plastic lid of a coffee can, and use can. you can also use piece of duct tape to hold tube in place on lid. Or weight it down like Roundball said . Dilly

Slake,
I would stick with the "barrel in the sink" method and put the plastic tube devise on a trade blanket.

my unrequested 2 cents worth,

Brett

I'd love to, but the gun is not designed to come apart easily. It does not have wedge pins. When it's time for a good cleaning you're dealing with a rifle, long stock and all, not just a barrel

Slake, don't pour water down the bore, when you withdraw the patch or swab it will pull the water up the bore from the bucket and hold it there until you run the patch back down again. Same as when you have the breech end of your barrel in a bucket of water.

The tubes do work OK on percussions. On flints there always seems to be some leakage at the gasket. I use a one gallon bleach bottle cut off near the top and run the tube down through the hollow handle of the bottle to keep it in place. The tube needs to be about two feet long.

get a piece of hose to fit bore loosely,put toothpick in vent,fasten hose to hot water spigot,put hose up barrel hold on to it,tilt barrel into sink and turn hot water on,let run until barrel is hot,let barrel drain,swab dry then add your choice of protectant,,, :bow: :grin: :bow:

:bow: How's this for an easier way to clean this gun ( and others). I use a plastic squeeze bottle---(like they use to serve mustard and ketchup)filled with hot water and detergent---stick it into the barrel and squeeze a couple of times---follow up with a cottom swab and ballistol patches and final lube.--The gun is on it's side with the touch hole over a small plastic bin to catch the drippings.Blow dry the lock and wipe every thing off. I use a coating of Minwax finishing wax on the barrel and stock to seal the area from water seepage. Gun cleaned and polished in less than ten minutes. :yakyak:

Back