• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KENTUCKY PISTOL 45 CAL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabic

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a Kentucky Pistol in 45 cal I just bought. It hasnt arrived yet, but I'm interested in what the experts here know about it.

I think its a Jukar or CVA, but am not sure. Does anybody know what size nipple thread it most likely has, and what size roundball I should be looking for it?

kentucky2.jpg

kentucky1.jpg

I have an identical pistol so I think I can help. As far as nipple thread I believe it takes a 1x6mm nipple as most Spanish made guns do. Load it with a .440 diameter ball with a .010 or .015 thickness lubed patch. As to powder charge, you'll have to work that out your self for the most accurate load. My pistol likes 25 grains of pyrodex P. Good luck and have fun with your pistol. Mine's a good shooter so I would think yours would be too.

Don

Right, I kew there was a 6 and a 1 in there some where.

Don

I think I remember that somebody said that CVA imported Jukars....
not sure myself....put 40 grains of 3FFF IN HER AND MAKE SOME SMOKE!!!! BIG BOOM!!!!!
the pistol will probably shoot alot more accurate with 20-25 grains....mine does anyway,
Nice looking pistol! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

.440" and a .013" Irish linen patch did the trick for mine. Pistol like 20 and 40 grains of FFFg...for some reason, 25, 30 and 35 grains didn't do as well. You'll have to diddle around to see which yours likes best. Have fun!

I've got a flintlock version I made from a kit in the 70's. It came in a box from CVA but has JUKAR on the barrel. It still shoots pretty good. I use a .440 ball over pillow ticking and 18 grains of 3F.

I have the flint one as well. I use a .440rb with a .015 patch on 22gr 3f. I even use 3f in the pan. She's a great sparker! The fit and finish totally sucked when I first got it. But, she shoots quick and straight.

I had a percussion Jukar several years ago. I recall that it took a 6mm nipple. I also had to re-align the drum and nipple to the cock to get it to hit square. That gun was not a bad shooter either. In fact, I wish I still had it for my boys to shoot with. :hmm:

I have same pistol. I shoot .440 and pillow ticking, and 25grs 3fff. Have shot afew groundhogs with it. My brother got it from a guy he worked with for me for 20.00. Basket case. Redid the whole gun. Made a nice enought gun out of it. Only thing they should have put set triggers on it as trigger is not light. Nipple is metric like they have posted. Make your self a half holster for it,real easy to do. Mine is a Jukar. Dilly

Just as a side note, a set trigger will not work with most of the inexpensive guns because their locks do not have a fly in them.

Sorry, I guess some of you will just have to live with that 10 pound trigger pull. :(

zonie

Zonnie-I posted a thread about finding a gun just like the one that you all are talking about here . I paid $20.00 for it. I had the idea of redoing the stock ,changeing the triger guard and the triger-buying a stock blank of walnut -remake the ram rod and pin the furrels and last change the front sight. I can't find CVA or anything like you all are talking about on the barrel. The gun is deffently just like the picture in this post. A cheapo- any suggestions would help me out . I am beginning to think this thing will cost me more than it is worth. mudd turtle.

"...I am beginning to think this thing will cost me more than it is worth. "

----------------------
Depends on what you really want to do with it.
If you want a Kentucky style pistol just for plinking and doing some informal target shooting your gun should be able to satisfy you.

If your wanting to restock it you can expect to pay more for the wood than you did for the gun and after you've put many hours into it you will have a pistol that is good for plinking and informal target shooting plus a lot of experience in restocking pistol parts.

Either way, what you have should be good for creating a lot of fun.
zonie :)

I bought one last Fall to have as a Winter project. Mine is an old CVA Kentucky kit I bought from a neighbor who had abandoned the project years ago. Have'nt done enough shooting with it to give any advice on loads, sorry. Heres a pic of it after some 'stylizing'.

CVAPistol006.jpg

Nicely done.

And in the spirit of "you show me yours, I'll show you mine", here's mine, a CVA kit built in the 70's. Shot it yesterday. .440 rb, .010 lubed wad, 40 gr fffg Goex.

563.jpg

R0010565.jpg

It's part of a set...

560.jpg

I attempted to shoot this pistol this weekend. It was my intent to buy a box of .440 round ball, but when I went to load the pistol I found that I had picked up a box of .445 roundball. It wasn't going to go down the barrel with the .010 patch.

So now I have a box of .445 roundball that I dont have a use for.... and I need to pick up a box of .440 round ball which is what I intended...

wes tex My kentucky is a match for yours in the performance dept. mine also likes the 40 in fff. I can (off of a bench) get 3.5' groups at 50 yds prety reg if I do my job. (rb of course)

mykeal I have a set like yours (my pistol is of the other sidelock design the kind with a plate on the off side from the lock).
My ? is what load does the rifle like? I have had a time getting it to groop. I have used fff from 50 to 65 and it is not happy. Does yours like ff?
thanks

Back