• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KENTUCKY PISTOL 45 CAL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOT ALL BARRELLS ARE THE SAME DIMENTION OF MY TWO opps forgot the caps was on. of my two kentucky 45's the rifle is tighter than the pistol. the 200 gr balletts will not fit in the rifle but they slide down just fine in the pistol. so i use the .440 in both and just use a thicker patch in the pistol.

keep it dry

I've only ever used ffg in the rifle, 45 to 75 gr, by volume, of course. I have not done a full course of variations to see what it likes best, but my memory says 60 gr was pretty good. Seems like 75 grouped well too, but I didn't take notes and those targets are long gone. Also, I was shooting at 100 yards from a rest with the stock, very rudimentary, iron sights, so the groups were pretty big - 7-9" as I recall, so there wasn't much to say for sure that one load was much better than another.

Sorry about that. When I made my post up above, I thought you had said you bought some .454 balls. :redface:

Back in the '70's and '80's there were a number of Kentucky pistols that were .44 caliber so that might be the problem. A .445 ball should load with a .010 thick patch and a rap on a short starter.
Of course doing this with a pistol takes three hands, one to hold the pistol, one to hold the short starter and one to give it a rap. :shocked2:
zonie :)

My wife just picked up one that looks exactly like that at a rendezvous last weekend. It's a Hopkins & Allen .45.

I couldn't find any .440 rb so I picked up the .445 on the counter guys recommendation. Haven't shot any of them yet. I guess I need to take them back.

also is the nipple the 6mmx1 on this one too (made in spain), or will a standard pistol nipple fit it?

My brother had 8 rb's that he said were .440 & they worked well. First 2 shots in the 8 ring at 12 yards (20gr. FFG) until my wife took it & fired the other 6... :redface: . She just needs some more practice. :grin:

The trigger was horrible, she could barely squeeze off the shot at times. Definitely needs some work.

If it shoots like mine you should be happy.

Latest posts

Back