• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky rifle rear sight questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you used this?
Yes, I have shot rifles with this sight, although I don't have vision problems (yet) so I don't have them on my rifles. One fellow used electrical tape, covered the rear of the sight, then opened only the center aperture.

IF that doesn't quite do it, one can always go farther back..., although unlike the bullseye which fits into the rear sight dovetail, this needs drilling and tapping of the tang...

PEEP SIGHT TC.JPG

LD

Thanks, I have never used a forward mounted aperture sight.
I do have some with the aperture near the eye.

Thanks, I have never used a forward mounted aperture sight.
I do have some with the aperture near the eye.
You want the aperture near your eye. The foreword peep accomplishes nothing over a regular open sights.

For glasses, use regular non progressive lenses. Get them made so the top focuses on the front sight. Make sure the optometrist understands that. I look at objects in the room with the try diopters. I then select the one that is about 3' in focus. That covers rifles and pistols well enough.

I have the bifocal lens made to focus on the loading bench distance.

If you are using a peep sight set on the tang you can forget all this. The front sight and target will be in focus due to the pinhole effect.

Anyone try a diopter? It can be as simple as a piece of electrical tape with a 1/8" hole punched in it on your shooting glasses. It's a lot cheaper than trying to finagle special rear sights.
diopter.JPG

You want the aperture near your eye. The foreword peep accomplishes nothing over a regular open sights.

For glasses, use regular non progressive lenses. Get them made so the top focuses on the front sight. Make sure the optometrist understands that. I look at objects in the room with the try diopters. I then select the one that is about 3' in focus. That covers rifles and pistols well enough.

If you are using a peep sight set on the tang you can forget all this. The front sight and target will be in focus due to the pinhole effect.
Yes I have tang mounted peep sights on some rifles already. I did purchase special glasses at one time for target disciplines, but no longer. I use progressive trifocals and get contacts every other year which I use with cheap readers and accomplish the same .
I wanted to know if anyone had actually tried to use a forward peep. Why would it not work? I suppose the diopter effect would not come through but would not be better than open sights?
I am sure most of us have used a rear peep on an unmentionable that belonged to our uncle but no one seems to have tried a forward peep.

I don't agree with your assessment of a forward peep, have you tried one? The price for old eyes is open sights often blur. I first used a Lyman tang mounted peep sight as a 15 year old lad on an unmentionable. Then on a TC percussion 50 years later, very good sight especially for target work, not quite so good for hunting. Did lots of experimenting and discovered, that the muzzleloaders I have, shoot about as accurate with my forward peeps as the ones that I made that mount on the tang. The main difference is mine are not micrometer adjustment type but built more like the ones that come on my unmentionables, which by the way are not micrometer sights either, and yet are very effective on a rifle that will shoot pin holes at 300 yards. Then people tried to tell me that muzzleloaders, shooting round lead balls, needs a micrometer sight? Are people really serious?
Squint

I have this one on a TC Hawken. The one shown above is much less expensive than the dovetail of this company. Although of much lower quality, it would give me a chance to see if it worked for me.

Ideally, I would like to make a mount that fit the angle of the tang and used the screw and allowed the pictured sight to mount. I have testing to do before I attempt such.

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    287.9 KB
When I build mine in 2005 the guy helping me had me put it on a fence post and sight down the barrel. He moved the rear sight forward until I could see it crystal clear.
Its 1/3 the way up the 42 in barrel.
I can still see it today.

Back