• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Rifles Comparison to Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle, Standard model. After looking at other Kentucky/Pennsylvania/etc. rifles, the Pedersoli model appears much different. The butt of the gun is so delicate and thin. The "Roman nose" appears to make it of the Golden Age type, which puts it in the 1840's time.

Is it an authentic reproduction of a Kentucky, whatever the era, is what I guess I am asking?

Thanks for any help you can give.

The Golden Age generally predates 1840. The Pedersoli rifle is not a good repro of any period rifle, but could be used for early 1800s. They just didn't get the Roman nose right.... :imo: P.S. the round back lock they use 'precludes' its use much earlier than 1800+/- a few years.

Save up a few more dollars, do some research, and order one from Tip Curtis in the white. You will thank yourself for it down the road. Tip can give you advise on which type to get according to your wants. All you have to do is light sanding, stain, and put a finish on it.

My motto is always buy the most gun that you possibly can. If you like the gun, you'll be glad you did and you'll have a fine heirloom to pass down someday. If you don't like it or want to sell or swap it, you have a much more valuable asset to put on the table.
It's been years now since I owned a Pedersoli, but the one I did have was a good old gun. I don't know much about the new ones, but Mike and Wick have given you sound advice.

When it comes to Pedersoli, always hark to Forest Gump's mamma's box of chocolates, you just never know what you are going to get.

You are correct--the Pederoli is much different. I purchased my Pedersoli Kentucky new in 1991 as my first flintlock. I refer to it as a "generic" Kentucky--similar in alot of ways to Kentuckies, but enough differences to keep it from being really like a Kentucky. They do make excellent first-time flinters. I've since acquired three more flinters, and rhe Pedersoli just sits on my gun rack now. One thing of interest though: several years ago a member of our club showed me an old original percussion rifle he was considereing purchasing--the patchbox was almost identical to the patchbox on the Pedersoli Kentucky.

These posts have given good advice. I would,however, add the name of Early Rustic Arms {earlyrusticarms.com}for moderately priced guns of quality and they are available in the white.The Pedersoli gun is,unfortunately, not a gun which is correct for the 18th or even early 19th century. It is a decent beginner gun.The best advice I can give you after some 40 odd years looking at Kentucky rifles and other antique guns is to buy the best you can afford. To do otherwise is to wind up with a gun you can't defend and which will be hard to sell.
Tom Patton :m2c:

Thanks, everyone! You told me what I guessed, but now I have the knowledge that I need.

Back